3kW generator to internal socket

*disclaimer- I am in pub*

If the OP were to fit a "widow maker" plug to the generator and plug it in to one of the sockets in the kitchen ring (after flicking all off the other MCBs), then surely that would power the circuit? Yeah, I appreciate that it is a very, very, very stoopid and dangerous thing to do.

Out of interest, what would happen if the power came on whilst the generator was running?

Sponsored Links
Having run my world on a generator and even from our van with an inverter when were were building our previous house out in the wilds of wales here are a few thoughts.

In general but it is worth check with a meter, generators are not N/E bonded ( check between the N - bottom left of the socket and the E hole) they are floating neutral. Any rcd rcbo you shove on it will not work and is just pointless as there is no path between earth and neutral.

So does a generator need to be earthed ? If you are just running an extension lead and our powering only one class 1 device say a fridge - as you should, then no. Say the fridge gets a fault and the case goes live...nothing will happen, unless you touch the a neutral that is attached to the generator and complete the circuit. If the fridge goes faulty even I am not mad enough to go fault finding without unplugging it....I will of course get my children to do that. Grounding a generator can protect the generator but normally does nothing for your safety, mind you it does not increase your danger much either.

If the gen is n/e bonded then earthing the generator can be fatal...as an alternate path is created back to neutral in the case of a fault that causes a live condition, say the fridge pump fails and lives up the case, you touch the ground and the fridge and there is now a path back to neutral on the generator via the planet earth. Don't ground a n/e bonded generator unless you go the whole hog.

Generators have added risk..take a few simple steps to minimize risk. Use a plug to blue commando socket on the generator and a commando to extension lead. Its always raining and its always dark and unplugging, a commando socket is inherently more safe that something with exposed pins, also its away from the generator and we all plop our hand on the gen as we bend down to unplug it...

Add another level of safety - bring in the feed via a commando socket on the outside of the house connected to a plug switched socket on the inside..that way any connections are done inside in the dry and the load can be switched on without having to plug anything in.

Add another level - use a dual pole isolator inside to switch the load off and on and an mcb in an enclosure, protect that wirining from a direct short and stop reliance on the appliance fuse.

Next - bond the n/e in the generator , fit a really good earth rod and bond the genny to it and fit a small consumer unit with RCD/RCBO and surge protector and run the extensions of your choice of that...remembering of course that the bit between the generator and the consumer unit will have no rcd connection...

Or go the whole hog , get a transfer switch fitted - you must disconnect the mains from the generators completely to prevent back feeding the grid., use the Main earth terminal to bond everything to the same potential ( if you can use the suppliers earth, if not move the house to a TT earth.) and run the system through the main consumer unit.

Me personally I would not be running a fridge or freezer..just pop a few camping cool box packs in the freezer, if you don't open it they will keep the temp down for hours. Camping gas stove does for tea and a fry up.

On a 1200w inverter we run a combi boiler , 3x laptops, Internet router ( if its not a widespread outage that lasts days - our virgin media cabinet has battery backup and lasts at least 6 hours - longest power cut of last winter) 4 lights and a freesat tv..all for an energy budget of 760 watts.

3kw or really 2.7 kw constantly is a lot of energy...even a fan oven these days only uses 0.87kw or 870w at max these days with an a rated oven.

Last edited:
I also got caught out, in may case fuse box RCBO, clearly marked type B, and my thought was "Oh did not expect that, type A would have been good enough." however the type B referred to being curve B, not type B, in my case it was type AC in the one you show it is type A and curve B which is ample.

This has been the problem I have found, mainly with duel voltage generators, where the earth is bonded to a centre tap of one winding, not neutral, so if you bond neutral to earth it causes a short circuit. Most generators have an earth bolt, to connect the earth to, any earth rod should be connected to that bolt, and then the earth for items used is taken from the socket on the generator.

This has been a problem for many living around here, they have been installing fibre for telephone and internet, and the unit in the house has a battery back up, so it will still work with a power cut, but the box down the road does not have battery back up, so no power no land line, so can't phone up to say my power has gone off.

Many years ago Prestatyn got flooded, and all the mobile phones failed, at that time RAYNET was still active (Amateur Radio emergency network) and they were able to set up coms for the emergency services, today there are far fewer radio hams, internet has replaced what they did with radios, and many RAYNET cells have folded, so not sure what would happen today? I have looked at local phone boxes, one is a book swap, the other has medial kit in it, neither have phones any more.
Yes I'm still part of RAYNET and epeater keeper for 2 70cm repeaters but reduced interest in the hobby has severely reduced our capabilities to put something up in emergencies.
When high winds took out the local mobile mast earlier this year, I lost my central heating as it detected my phone was not at home and auto went into Eco mode, now disabled.
A friend had a problem when a powercut (metal theft of 400V overhead power cables) took out the local phone base station last week, he couldn't control any of his home automation as the system had loss of internet and froze. To put this into perspective lights could not be altered to change from on or off, his heating stayed on despite the temp sensors being satisfied, he couldn't open the garage other than disconnecting the mechanical linkage which was difficult as the door was closed andbroke the window to get in and the car was in the under the door motor. The one that really ****ed him off was the freezer but fortunately it was cooling at the time and continued to do so for several hours until the compressor tripped with over heat.
Now personally I don't understand half of that, especially the freezer not being autonomous and garage door not having some sort of overide but he seems to think he's a digital whizzkid and had spent many hours during last summer telling people how good he is and got it working perfectly.
Sadly he missed the freezer man when he came to sort it out (on some sort of monitored callout arrangement) he was in the garden and the smart doorbell didn't work either.

3kw or really 2.7 kw constantly is a lot of energy...even a fan oven these days only uses 0.87kw or 870w at max these days with an a rated oven.
I think you will find that that is 0.87kWh or 870Wh.

I.e. 2.7kW - cycling on and of with the thermostat - is 2.7kW when e.g. actually on for 20 minutes out of two hours = 0.9kWh.

Sponsored Links
I think you will find that that is 0.87kWh or 870Wh.

I.e. 2.7kW - cycling on and of with the thermostat - is 2.7kW when e.g. actually on for 20 minutes out of two hours = 0.9kWh.
Did I put a h in there sorry butter fingers...the draw of a modern fan oven is about 0.87kw or 870 watts at full blast.

Did I put a h in there sorry butter fingers..
No, but you should have.

.the draw of a modern fan oven is about 0.87kw or 870 watts at full blast.
No it isn't - that is not what kWh means.

1669558029630.png

*disclaimer- I am in pub*

If the OP were to fit a "widow maker" plug to the generator and plug it in to one of the sockets in the kitchen ring (after flicking all off the other MCBs), then surely that would power the circuit? Yeah, I appreciate that it is a very, very, very stoopid and dangerous thing to do.

Out of interest, what would happen if the power came on whilst the generator was running?
And even more stupid to suggest it even in jest. If the power came back on nothing would happen as the kitchen ring MCB is off.

I've started by having a look at some DP RCBOs, and I am wondering if this one is OK, in this enclosure?

The problem is that "double pole" is rather loosely defined when it comes to MCBs. The RCD bit will be fine, but the MCB could be double pole as in "overcurrent detection on both L&N" (which is OK), or it could mean "overcurrent protection on L only, but switches the N as well as the L when off/tripped" (which is not adequate for reasons I'll explain later). I don't have time to go digging into data sheets etc. right now to find out.
I also stumbled across this, while searching, which has RCD and a 16A MCB. Could I use it, rather than buy the separate bits?
In principle yes, but see above about what "double pole" means.
This has been the problem I have found, mainly with duel voltage generators, where the earth is bonded to a centre tap of one winding, not neutral, so if you bond neutral to earth it causes a short circuit. Most generators have an earth bolt, to connect the earth to, any earth rod should be connected to that bolt, and then the earth for items used is taken from the socket on the generator.
Yes, it's a conundrum when trying to design for "some random portable genny" someone brings along to plug in later. Personally I am inclined towards not bonding N&E in the installation while providing a notice next to the inlet detailing that the genny should have such bonding either internally or in the connecting cable. The combination of double pole (sensing as well as switching) MCB, RCD, and primary insulation should then make the installation acceptably safe regardless of what is plugged in.
If the user connects a genny with earthed N then that's great - just like the normal mains supply. If they connect a genny with floating output (IT supply) then a single fault won't create a hazard, but a second fault would cause at least one protective device to trip. If the user connects a genny with a centre tapped winding (whether 110-0-110 or 55-0-165) then there's probably no overload protection for the neutrals in the installation, but the RCD would trip in the event of a N-E fault. If someone has a connecting lead with N-E link and uses such a CT earthed genny, then either a breaker (or other protection) on the genny will trip, or the genny design is faulty and it may either collapse it's field due to the shorted winding or just burn it out - bad or the genny, but at least not an electrical danger to users.
This has been a problem for many living around here, they have been installing fibre for telephone and internet, and the unit in the house has a battery back up, so it will still work with a power cut, but the box down the road does not have battery back up, so no power no land line, so can't phone up to say my power has gone off.
If you are on "full fibre" - i.e. a fibre right into your house, then there's no "box down the road" any more as the fibre goes all the way to the exchange (which will have massive backup batteries).
Many years ago Prestatyn got flooded, and all the mobile phones failed, at that time RAYNET was still active (Amateur Radio emergency network) and they were able to set up coms for the emergency services, today there are far fewer radio hams, internet has replaced what they did with radios, and many RAYNET cells have folded, so not sure what would happen today?
That's a good question. Probably more recently (December 2015), Lancaster got flooded and the report is a very interesting read and highlights a lot of things that we probably didn't even think could be affected.
When high winds took out the local mobile mast earlier this year, I lost my central heating as it detected my phone was not at home and auto went into Eco mode, now disabled.
Which is one reason (of many) I've resisted the allure of the new shiney stuff which needs a mothership to function.

Having run my world on a generator and even from our van with an inverter when were were building our previous house out in the wilds of wales here are a few thoughts.

In general but it is worth check with a meter, generators are not N/E bonded ( check between the N - bottom left of the socket and the E hole) they are floating neutral. Any rcd rcbo you shove on it will not work and is just pointless as there is no path between earth and neutral.
Wrong. There are many permutations - including floating output. Many have a centre tapped winding, which may mean 120-0-120V on a 240V output, or it may mean 55-0-165V or 55-0-55 on a 220/110V dual output machine. As you say, you need to check each generator to see how it's wired.
So does a generator need to be earthed ? If you are just running an extension lead and our powering only one class 1 device say a fridge - as you should, then no. Say the fridge gets a fault and the case goes live...
Wrong, the case will not "go live". The case will be connected to one side of a floating supply, and if there is an earth (even a parasitic one) then the "L" will go to earth and the "N" will become live. In itself, not dangerous as you go on to say :
nothing will happen, unless you touch the a neutral that is attached to the generator and complete the circuit.

If the fridge goes faulty even I am not mad enough to go fault finding without unplugging it
You might not know it's faulty ? It could still be working just fine, but with a L-E fault.
Grounding a generator can protect the generator but normally does nothing for your safety, mind you it does not increase your danger much either.
Once you go beyond running one supply and one device, then it does make a big difference to safety.
If the gen is n/e bonded then earthing the generator can be fatal
Wrong again. What could be fatal would be NOT earthing a genny with a N-E link. See the above about a prospective L-E fault - and note that the "E" does not necessarily mean the supply E (think about, e.g., a chafed cable draped over a copper water pipe, or the cable got snagged on a sharp edge will dragging it across the garden). There is scope then for the L-E fault to make the genny N "live", and the N-E bond will then make the genny frame and anything connected to it (possibly including the fridge case) live.
...as an alternate path is created back to neutral in the case of a fault that causes a live condition, say the fridge pump fails and lives up the case, you touch the ground and the fridge and there is now a path back to neutral on the generator via the planet earth.
I'm struggling to understand this sentence :rolleyes:
Don't ground a n/e bonded generator unless you go the whole hog.
Correct, any ground needs to be a decent one. However, if you have the right equipotential bonding in place, that isn't actually all that important. Don't forget that in a TN-C-S system, it's possible for the DNO provided "earth" to be anything up to 240V above local earth under certain fault conditions (mainly broken PEN (protective earth and neutral, also called CNE, combined neutral and earth) conductor). What makes it safe (at least inside the house) is equipotential bonding so that even if this happens, everything is at the same potential. This equipotential bonding needs to remain in place, and include the genny frame - but then we get into the same questions as for any "outside supply" where precautions need to be taken against someone touching "earthed" parts and the local earth.
Generators have added risk..take a few simple steps to minimize risk. Use a plug to blue commando socket on the generator and a commando to extension lead. Its always raining and its always dark and unplugging, a commando socket is inherently more safe that something with exposed pins, also its away from the generator and we all plop our hand on the gen as we bend down to unplug it...
Or, just stop it before connecting/disconnecting it !
Add another level of safety - bring in the feed via a commando socket on the outside of the house connected to a plug switched socket on the inside
More or less as already described, except the OP is planning on hardwiring the sockets all the way to the plug for the genny.
Or go the whole hog , get a transfer switch fitted - you must disconnect the mains from the generators completely to prevent back feeding the grid., use the Main earth terminal to bond everything to the same potential ( if you can use the suppliers earth, if not move the house to a TT earth.) and run the system through the main consumer unit.
No, you CANNOT rely on the supplier's earth - the reason for the outage may be that someone has just dug up a cable and broken the PEN between your house and the nearest earth point. You do not have to go TT. It's now considered acceptable to connect your own earth electrode to the DNO earth, and at one point it was expected for the new version of BS7671 to require a local earth electrode on all installations. You do have to consider prospective fault currents in the local electrode and connecting cables, and size everything accordingly.
it is still not permitted to switch the earth connection - so you can't use the DNO's earth when on mains, and run as a TT system when running on genny as the required switch pole in the earth is forbidden (there is now an exception, which is for protection internal to an EV charging point).
Me personally I would not be running a fridge or freezer..just pop a few camping cool box packs in the freezer, if you don't open it they will keep the temp down for hours.
For short outages yes, depends on how long you expect the power to be off for. The longest I've personally experienced was 4 hours, but see above about the 2015 outage in Lancaster.
As an aside, several jobs ago I worked at a site which was at the end of a long overhead line system which (I got to see the network maps one time) appeared to go via every village on the peninsular. We had frequent power cuts which I found could be categorised into :
* Short ones, restored in under a minute. I assume down to automatic or manual remote breaker re-closure after a transient fault.
* 1 ½ hours - note 1:25 or 1:35, but 1:30 give or take a fairly small margin.
* Longer ones, infrequent, and of variable length - which I put down to more serious problems.
From an insider, I know that at the time the engineers on call had a target of 1:30 to restore supply needing manual intervention (e.g. visiting a substation to re-close a breaker). I strongly suspect that they would wait until the 1:30 was almost up even if (e.g.) they could have done it in just 60 minutes - taking longer would incur penalties, doing it quicker would allow management to use the "you did it faster so we're reducing the allowed time for future callouts". Hence why I saw little variation from 1:30 for that length of power cut.
And every time we had one of the longer cuts, manglement would ask about options for a generator - only to consider them (after the power is back) and decide they are all too expensive. The maintenance manager just kept the file to hand and gave them a copy of the same options and costs each time:rolleyes:
Camping gas stove does for tea and a fry up.
Indeed. Or for us, we still have a gas hob.
On a 1200w inverter we run a combi boiler , 3x laptops, Internet router ( if its not a widespread outage that lasts days - our virgin media cabinet has battery backup and lasts at least 6 hours - longest power cut of last winter) 4 lights and a freesat tv..all for an energy budget of 760 watts.
That sounds about right - other than the local cabinet having battery backup. Our VDSL2 cabinets (aka FTTC) supposedly have batteries in them, but I do wonder how long they should last for, and whether they ever get replaced (if not, then after a few years they might not have much capacity left).
As others have mentioned, that is demand averaged over time - most will have elements rated much higher than that, and so your supply needs to be rated for the higher figure. The other issue is that for things like fridges, the inrush current will be many times higher than running current - although I imagine modern inverter driven types have a much lesser peak demand.
For those without a gas hob or a camping stove, having a genny capable of boiling a kettle (not all are 3kW) is a definite plus point.
Alternatively, you might use a UPS, and only run the genny when the batteries are getting low - thus using a lot less fuel.

A friend had a problem when a powercut (metal theft of 400V overhead power cables) took out the local phone base station last week, he couldn't control any of his home automation as the system had loss of internet and froze. To put this into perspective lights could not be altered to change from on or off, his heating stayed on despite the temp sensors being satisfied, he couldn't open the garage other than disconnecting the mechanical linkage which was difficult as the door was closed andbroke the window to get in and the car was in the under the door motor. The one that really ****ed him off was the freezer but fortunately it was cooling at the time and continued to do so for several hours until the compressor tripped with over heat.
Now personally I don't understand half of that, especially the freezer not being autonomous and garage door not having some sort of overide but he seems to think he's a digital whizzkid and had spent many hours during last summer telling people how good he is and got it working perfectly.
Sadly he missed the freezer man when he came to sort it out (on some sort of monitored callout arrangement) he was in the garden and the smart doorbell didn't work either.
I can't help but wonder if that is genuine or a wind up suggesting how things could be in the future if we carry on like we are - but I've give you the benefit of the doubt ...
Garage door motors do (at least for those I have any knowledge about) have a mechanism release which will disconnect the drive from the door and allow manual opening. Whether this is actually operable with a car parked underneath the motor is another matter.
I too can't understand why a freezer would not operate autonomously - just cooling to the last demanded temperature and cycling as required. To need remote control just to maintain the setpoint would be an exceedingly bad design, so ... hmm, yes I could believe some fuc...err I mean idiot would do it.
Yeah, the "smart" doorbells don't work without internet. But if the internet is down, how would the freezer company know that it has a problem ?

The problem is that "double pole" is rather loosely defined when it comes to MCBs. The RCD bit will be fine, but the MCB could be double pole as in "overcurrent detection on both L&N" (which is OK), or it could mean "overcurrent protection on L only, but switches the N as well as the L when off/tripped" (which is not adequate for reasons I'll explain later). I don't have time to go digging into data sheets etc. right now to find out.

Thanks @SimonH2.

I'm trying to read up on the difference, and how to identify it. Am I correct in thinking that the above is the same as "1P+N vs 2P" with some 1P+N products being described as 2P?

I can't help but wonder if that is genuine or a wind up suggesting how things could be in the future if we carry on like we are - but I've give you the benefit of the doubt ...
Garage door motors do (at least for those I have any knowledge about) have a mechanism release which will disconnect the drive from the door and allow manual opening. Whether this is actually operable with a car parked underneath the motor is another matter.
I too can't understand why a freezer would not operate autonomously - just cooling to the last demanded temperature and cycling as required. To need remote control just to maintain the setpoint would be an exceedingly bad design, so ... hmm, yes I could believe some fuc...err I mean idiot would do it.
Yeah, the "smart" doorbells don't work without internet. But if the internet is down, how would the freezer company know that it has a problem ?
I'm with you all the way.
First problem with the garage was getting inside as there is no pedestrian door.
I too found the freezer parts a bit too difficult to get my head round however the friend does reckon himself as a whizzkid with the digital age and his wife is always complaining about not being able to make things work. They have no light switches in the house, to the point all switch positions have been filled and decorated. Everything is controlled from their phones, even toilet light so when visiting one has to ask for the light to be switched on. It always seems if there is a bad way to set something up he will find a more complicated way.
When my wife mentioned to his wife we had no internet while they still on the phone he came straight over, via currys to purchase the new and expensive TP Link router (I think AX6000 or something similar) he reckoned we needed to get back online. And he insisted on opening it despite telling him we had no phone line (no 50V) and then he expected us to pay for it.

and plug it in to one of the sockets in the kitchen ring (after flicking all off the other MCBs), then surely that would power the circuit?

You do not mention the main switches in the consumer unit,

If the MCB for the kitchen ring was still closed ( ON ) then the widow maker would be connected in the consumer unit to the Live and Neutral bus bars and hence to the incoming supply ( assuming the main switches are not turned OFF ) This would create a hazard for engineers working on the fault in the network that caused the loss of power.

GPON fibre networks like Openreach FTTP use passive non-powered optical splitters, the exchange equipment is powered but exchanges have protected power.

David.

Unfortunately my understanding is that BT openreach are trying to push everyone onto "digital voice" delivered over broadband, even if their broadband service is FTTC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back