3kW generator to internal socket

Unfortunately my understanding is that BT openreach are trying to push everyone onto "digital voice" delivered over broadband, even if their broadband service is FTTC.
That's not coming from BT, it's from higher up as I understand it.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is BT openreach are pushing it on the retail communications providers (including BT retail). Whether they in turn are being pushed by an outside entity I don't know.

I'm trying to read up on the difference, and how to identify it. Am I correct in thinking that the above is the same as "1P+N vs 2P" with some 1P+N products being described as 2P?
Yeah, I think that's a fair summary. Until fairly recently, "2 pole" MCBs were all 2 modules wide - but with the arrival of the compact devices it's suddenly got a whole lot more complicated and you have to be careful that what you are buying is what you think it is :unsure:
I'm with you all the way.
First problem with the garage was getting inside as there is no pedestrian door.
Ah, yes that's a problem. Both our rental properties have the same problem, and there's no option to add one even if it made sense. We've recently had one of the garage doors replaced, and one of my considerations when thinking about options (very limited due to the way the building is done) was "what happens if something fails". Ended up with side-hinged wooden doors, and the joiner made a nice job of them.
I too found the freezer parts a bit too difficult to get my head round however the friend does reckon himself as a whizzkid with the digital age and his wife is always complaining about not being able to make things work. They have no light switches in the house, to the point all switch positions have been filled and decorated. Everything is controlled from their phones, even toilet light so when visiting one has to ask for the light to be switched on.
:ROFLMAO: That's just plain crazy.
"A few" years ago I got sent to Monte Carlo (before anyone starts, it was not at all the nice jolly it might sound - 3 days, didn't set foot outside the apartment between being dropped off by the taxi and being picked up by another taxi) to help an old schoolfriend of my then boss. He'd gone down the automation route and had a large wardrobe where if you opened the secret doors reveals a wallful of DIN rail mounted modules - input and output. But as well as the automated bits, like the window shutters automatically closing at night, everything had switches to operate it. Switches were connected back to input modules, the computer decided what each input did, and then the relevant output module "did something" whether that was turning a light on/off, or opening/closing shutters, curtains, etc.
It always seems if there is a bad way to set something up he will find a more complicated way.
Now, when I get round to doing some "clever stuff", one of the key requirements will be that there are simple ways to do stuff.
I have in mind adding DALI so that I can, for example, have switches on the wall to turn lights on/off, and also have the option of remote control, access via phone, and stuff like that. With DALI, it's a well defined standard, and you can have multiple controllers on the bus - so easy to have a standalone controller that takes inputs from switches and signals the lights on/off (the basics, and works if the computer takes a vacation), while also allowing a computerised system to provide enhanced features.

Unfortunately my understanding is that BT openreach are trying to push everyone onto "digital voice" delivered over broadband, even if their broadband service is FTTC.
I know there is a plan to phase out copper lines - I vaguely recall it being by 2025 when it was announced, with plenty of comments to the effect of "that's a good one, and I'm training pigs to fly". I thought it was just FTTP that was going to get it to start with, using FTTC doesn't make sense as it still leaves the copper to the end user which is the bit they are trying to get rid of.
Given that we're almost at the end of 2022, shifting the whole country to full fibre by 2025 as per the original plan isn't looking too promising :rolleyes:
Ah, seems that they no longer have any pretensions to hit 2025. Their info site says they provide details of plans out to 2026. Looking at their "where and when" page, I see we are down for between 2021 and 2026 - but basically round here there are islands planned and massive areas not shown as planned at all yet.
Ah, found a few old articles on The Register. This one from 2018 suggests it's all users, but a number of comments suggest that it will only be FTTP lines.

Until they find they don't work because the local mast is down in the power cut.
I get the feeling keeping the masts running is a priority..

..but believe it or not it's still possible to do a couple of l things on an iPad without an internet connection

Sponsored Links
"A few" years ago I got sent to Monte Carlo (before anyone starts, it was not at all the nice jolly it might sound - 3 days, didn't set foot outside the apartment between being dropped off by the taxi and being picked up by another taxi) to help an old schoolfriend of my then boss.
Yes I've spent time away from home working and the jollies are not usually very jolly.
One was in a commercial complex miles away from anywhere in Spain, basically the options for 'after work' were the on site bar selling local beer (definitely not my taste), watching local TV or working more. I chose working more to get away quicker.

Something fairly similar in France where the site security was so complex to get in and out (and my lack of French language didn't help) that I found it easier to stay in and keep working.

I know there is a plan to phase out copper lines - I vaguely recall it being by 2025 when it was announced, with plenty of comments to the effect of "that's a good one, and I'm training pigs to fly". I thought it was just FTTP that was going to get it to start with, using FTTC doesn't make sense as it still leaves the copper to the end user which is the bit they are trying to get rid of.
It gets rid of the copper from the cabinet to the telephone exchange. IIRC FTTC/FTTP are served from a smaller number of telephone exchanges than legacy copper services, so getting rid of legacy copper services would also allow them to reduce the number of exchanges.

A friend had a problem when a powercut (metal theft of 400V overhead power cables) took out the local phone base station last week, he couldn't control any of his home automation as the system had loss of internet and froze. To put this into perspective lights could not be altered to change from on or off, his heating stayed on despite the temp sensors being satisfied, he couldn't open the garage other than disconnecting the mechanical linkage which was difficult as the door was closed andbroke the window to get in and the car was in the under the door motor. The one that really ****ed him off was the freezer but fortunately it was cooling at the time and continued to do so for several hours until the compressor tripped with over heat.

I'm quite fond of my tech, but I make sure I always have a 'what if' in mind, before accepting any tech. My own garage has a remote control shutter door, but has two more small door to get entry, if there is no power to operate the roller. The roller then has a manual cranking handle as a backup - it takes lots of effort and several minutes of cranking to open it, but certainly doable in an emergency.

I'm quite fond of my tech, but I make sure I always have a 'what if' in mind, before accepting any tech. My own garage has a remote control shutter door, but has two more small door to get entry, if there is no power to operate the roller. The roller then has a manual cranking handle as a backup - it takes lots of effort and several minutes of cranking to open it, but certainly doable in an emergency.
That's the difference between someone who knows what they are doing and those who think total automation is the bees bo****ks.

When the monitoring equipment at the ISP/network link provider notices thousands of subscribers disappear simultaneously, they'll know
They might notice, but will they care - or more importantly, will they be in a position to do anything about it. Well I can answer the last bit, there's SFA the service provider can do if the customers' power is off.
Yes I've spent time away from home working and the jollies are not usually very jolly.
One was in a commercial complex miles away from anywhere in Spain, ...
I had one like that too - though it was only a flying visit to a satellite office for a customer to commission some IT stuff. Hotel in the middle of nowhere, and couldn't even go window shopping at the adjacent shopping centre as they barricaded it off at night and the security guards had both Alsatians and guns :eek: I can only guess that being in the middle of nowhere, they'd had issues with break ins.
It gets rid of the copper from the cabinet to the telephone exchange. IIRC FTTC/FTTP are served from a smaller number of telephone exchanges than legacy copper services, so getting rid of legacy copper services would also allow them to reduce the number of exchanges.
The copper to the exchange is probably the most reliable part of the link - it's the cab to premises links that go via random junction boxes up poles and down 'oles and get disturbed any time a neighbour has any work done and a tech has to go in the box to add/move something. The bulk cables from box to exchange won't generally get disturbed, and the modern IDC terminals they use are very reliable.
Some people think Hi Tech heating controls are real cool, until their house goes cold
:ROFLMAO: I'm planning some "hi tech" heating controls at some point - but each room will have it's own controller (a.k.a. thermostat) that's capable of operating autonomously if the central control goes down. Finding/designing something acceptable to SWMBO is likely to be the hardest part - I've yet to get through that the current stats have a simple "if you're cold, just press the up button a couple of times to turn it up" option (which reset at the next schedules setpoint change).

I had one like that too - though it was only a flying visit to a satellite office for a customer to commission some IT stuff. Hotel in the middle of nowhere, and couldn't even go window shopping at the adjacent shopping centre as they barricaded it off at night and the security guards had both Alsatians and guns :eek: I can only guess that being in the middle of nowhere, they'd had issues with break ins.
The venue in France may or may not have been guarded like that too but for a very different reason
1669765142039.png

"if you're cold, just press the up button a couple of times to turn it up" option (which reset at the next schedules setpoint change).
What about "if you're cold, put a jumper on. If you're still cold, move more"?

Unless you think gas is a bargain, of course..

What about "if you're cold, put a jumper on. If you're still cold, move more"?
Well taking that to its logical conclusion and we'd do away with heating altogether :rolleyes:
Since the point of heating is to warm the room to an acceptable (for whatever definition of acceptable you choose*), then having controls which allow that (without overheating and wasting money) is quite important. But however "smart" you might make the controls, short of developing ESP or putting brain implants into each person living here, there will be times when what the controls pick won't be what the occupiers want.

* Clearly there is some tradeoff between spending money on gas and putting on extra layers, etc. Different people are going to have different priorities and needs. For some, "run around a bit if you're cold" is not particularly an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back