3kW load. What do you regard as the design current?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@240v the 3kW load (e.g. immersion heater) calc comes in at 12.5 amps.

When calculating with 230v what is the current?

Sponsored Links
Why is it important? Doesn't it require its own supply (fixed heater over 2kW)?

Sponsored Links
No way to calculate it unless you know the linearity of the power consumption against voltage. Might be a bit less than the current at 240V, could be a bit more.
In any case, although the nominal voltage in the UK is now 230V, the actual voltage is, and is likely to remain, something around 240V.

The resistance is 19.2 Ω

The current will be 13.17 amps at the worst case highest non fault supply voltage of 253 volts (230+10% ).

Not a problem as the cable calculations will ( I assume ) have taken that into account.

Well without trying to sound like a numpty.... :D
When dividing 3000 by 230v and getting a current of 13.04 amps, I would say that this 0.4 amps has been widely ignored since the "harmonisation" and accepted as the standard means when calculating the design current for 3kW loads, hence, keeping the BS1362 fuse to 13 amps.

So.. what does this mean for our trusty 100w lamp?
Worse still what does this mean for inductive loads?

How is one supposed to correctly calculate design current? This could be a mine field!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's 13.04 A, so the "widely ignored" current is only 40-ish mA, or, rounded to one place of decimals, 3kW = 13A.

But that's my point. It is not true. Many design calcs are being done incorrectly. The current is 11.98 amps @230v.

As far as I understand, 13A is the design load for an FCU cartridge fuse. Cartridge fuses have to carry about 1.6 x design current for 30 minutes without melting and should melt within 30 minutes at 1.9 x design current. (I might have the figures for the wrong cartridge fuse standard.)

Given that you probably have a 16A CB or 15A semi-enclosed fuse on the immersion heater supply circuit, why introduce another fuse?

If 230V is applied to a 240V element, how could the current 'be a bit more'?
Take a 240V incandescent light bulb. (Don't worry, I wont tell the EU!) :D
Measure the current at the rated voltage and again at a lower voltage. What happens?
Don't you mean always will be
Logically, yes, that was what I meant, but then I remembered that the lunatics have taken over the asylum and it's anybody's guess what the reality will be after a few years of electric vehicles, micro-generation, and smart grid.

Ricicle, 512.1.1 requires every item of equipment to be suitable for the nominal voltage, while taking into account the highest and/or lowest voltage likely to occur in normal service, so it's a fair question to which I don't know the answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back