3mm, 5mm skim ? Will skim 'cover up' my 'diy' work..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Once I complete plasterboarding out the new room, once my lovely garage, I'm getting in a pro to skim all the walls/ceiling. Do I have a choice of depth of the skim? :rolleyes:
Can skimming correct some of my plasterboarding mishaps, i.e. if I didn't quite get the boards around the window 100% square etc?
I checked this site and boarding looks a bit like mine, few gaps here and there, perhaps not quite level.. :oops:
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/PLASTERING_BEADING.htm

thanks for any advise.

I plan to use blown poly wall paper which should also help to cover up..
:LOL:
thanks all!
KS

Sponsored Links
You can cover up mistakes on PB quiet easily, it’s just the way you do it that’s important. A skim of Multi or Board finish is around 3mm thick overall; you can push this a little locally to take care of slight unevenness but 5mm is pushing it a bit; put it on too thick in one hit & it will craze & crack & you will end up with lumps & bumps. Best way around it is to level out the problem bits locally with Multi/Board Finish (or even Bonding if it’s that bad!) & then skim over the whole lot again; but this is obviously more work. If you’re getting a pro in, ask their advice first & don’t do anything yourself unless you clear it with him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back