3rd Party drill batteries, any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The batteries from my blue bosch drill have died but the drill itself is fine.
Bosch batteries cost nearly as much as a new drill with batteries included.

There are companies offering compatible batteries for a much more reasonable cost, on ebay, amazon and their own websites. I was wondering if anyone knows if these are any good or not in general?

Bosch don't actually make battery cells as far as I know but do they perhaps buy better quality ones than I'm likely to find in a 2.4Ah £25 battery?

Sponsored Links
The only caution seems to be that there are a lot of Chinese imitation batteries on the market - no guarantee on either safety or performance.

I share your frustration that I can buy a new tool with batteries, charger and case but two new batteries cost more than the original kit!

i bought 2 generic dewalt 18v 3ah nmh one capacity nearer 2-2.5 ah thats fine for £31 the other still mid several cycles returning perhaps 0.3 ah charges in 10 mins so not good will give it another 3 or 4 goes

Sponsored Links
Compatible ones generally seem to work OK but are unlikely to have the same level of circuit protection as OEM batteries. They can get a bit fiery,..wouldn't leave one on charge unattended

bought a couple of nimh batteries for a combi drill for the same reasons as you a few years back and they lasted around 12 months on hard site work, probably chinese as suggested looking at the prices.
I bit the bullet and got a new 3ah bosch battery a year later when the sds died.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back