4 2 2 for Mot's coming?

First test at 4 years. Most defects at three years are the sort of things that could happen at ant time - wipers, washers, bulbs etc. Any high mileage 50,000 miles a year rep cars would, I assume, be serviced more frequently.
OK, I can see the sense in that (although a hard-worked taxi can rack up 50,000 miles a year, so a first (statutory) MOT at 200,000 miles might be a bit scary! I think most taxi licensing authorities tend to insist on a "council MOT" every year (some every 6 months) from new anyway), but reps doing big miles might still be a problem.

Did you submit a preference on any of the other questions? I think I could get behind a reduced frequency if the tests were tougher.

(And obviously, no MOT for any Italian car over 30 years old...) ;)

Sponsored Links
I can go for new vehicles 1st test after 4 years, but there are lots of examples where this isn't a good idea. High mileage reps and taxis are good examples, as are delivery vans, where every minute off the road is begrudged and servicing gets missed a lot.

But it needs to be yearly afterwards. Some cars only get tyres, lights suspension and steering items, and brakes changed because they fail on the mot. If they didn't fail, they wouldn't get changed.

It's not about the condition of the car you drive. It's about the condition of the other cars on the road

What I DO think we desperately need, is a better MOT emissions test!
Eahh, a huge chunk of vehicles will be zero emission electric before they could get around to rolling such a thing out..

Sponsored Links
Eahh, a huge chunk of vehicles will be zero emission electric before they could get around to rolling such a thing out..
I wouldn't have thought so? This could be done in the next couple of years, easily enough. It's already being done on the Continent in some countries (Netherlands and Germany, I think - possibly a few others). Right now, only 2 or 3 % of the cars in the UK are electric!

OK, I can see the sense in that (although a hard-worked taxi can rack up 50,000 miles a year, so a first (statutory) MOT at 200,000 miles might be a bit scary! I think most taxi licensing authorities tend to insist on a "council MOT" every year (some every 6 months) from new anyway), but reps doing big miles might still be a problem.

So you make it 2 years AND with a mileage limit too - Every 2 years, or say every 30,000 miles, which ever is the sooner.

Hah, eventually they'll be electric and linked to a manufacturer cloud like everything else IoT (not that it couldn't happen with ICEs too) so it could more easily be the car telling the DVSA its mileage

Hah, eventually they'll be electric and linked to a manufacturer cloud like everything else IoT (not that it couldn't happen with ICEs too) so it could more easily be the car telling the DVSA its mileage
That is actually one of the proposals in the consultation! (Sort of). To rely on the car self-reporting faults to DVSA. Not sure how they're going to develop a computer that knows the nearside sill is rusty and the driver's seat belt is frayed, mind...

That is actually one of the proposals in the consultation! (Sort of). To rely on the car self-reporting faults to DVSA. Not sure how they're going to develop a computer that knows the nearside sill is rusty and the driver's seat belt is frayed, mind...
Will probably just be the emissions.

The problem is how to do that, in practical terms. Do you rely on the driver to tell DVSA the mileage?

You don't need to, the mileage is not that critical. When they do eventually appear for testing after the two years, the mileage will be recorded, and then they can be fined. Or they can be caught by the rare police spot checks.

You don't need to, the mileage is not that critical. When they do eventually appear for testing after the two years, the mileage will be recorded, and then they can be fined. Or they can be caught by the rare police spot checks.
sold the car in the meantime and the unlucky new owner gets the fine ?

Sponsored Links
Back