4 - 2 - 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe i should of posted this in car maintenance, but thought i might get a few more responses in here.

Government are considering proposals for changes to the mot testing system, Proposals are first test after 4 years (currently3) and then every 2 years (instead of yearly)

Do you think this would be a good idea, considering improved reliability of modern vehicles, OR do you think it would have negative effect on vehicle and road safety

Sponsored Links
The test will become much tougher - any slight wear will have to be fixed.

A good idea, the current regime was developed when Vauxhall Viva's were rusting to death and falling apart on the roads ... Modern vehicles do not need yearly MOT's.

Joe's probably right though, we don't get something for nothing and the test will probably be far tougher (ridiculously so I'd say).

MW

the current regime was developed when Vauxhall Viva's were rusting to death and falling apart on the roads ..

I say old bean, you're being a tad too generous there....99/100 Vivas

rusted & fell apart before they left the factory.

Sponsored Links
TBH I prefer an annual MOT.
You will end up with some right wrecks on the road.

When I worked in a garage it was amazing some of the contraptions that people thought were safe to be on their driveway, let alone on the road. :eek:

I really think that you should have to display MOT and insurance, just as you do with VED.
I reckon there would be less uninsured drivers, leading hopefully, to lower premiums for the rest of us (we can dream)

The test will become much tougher - any slight wear will have to be fixed.

Could be the other way around.
Maybe things will wear less, so we don't have as much to throw away ?

Nope, not a chance,your right joe, not enough money to be made that way is there, ?

save the world n all that

I say old bean, you're being a tad too generous there....99/100 Vivas rusted & fell apart before they left the factory.
I had one ... D reg and, by the time I'd finished all the welding it weighed so much that the engine was too underpowered to move it. ;)

I bought it from a local dealer and when I got home and looked at the receipt it said Sold As Scrap ... My dad didn't stop laughing for a month :LOL:

MW

why not go for 4 then 3 then 2 then every year so a 9 year old car will be checked anualy

with the proviso that the car must be maintained to manufacturors shedules by recognised mechanics other wise they resort to an intermediate mot at 2 1.5 1 or 0.5 years

With the proviso that the car must be maintained to manufacturors shedules by recognised mechanics
:eek:

Not on your life ... Biggest ripoff going, a license to print money.

With the proviso that the car must be maintained to manufacturors shedules by recognised mechanics
:eek:

Not on your life ... Biggest ripoff going, a license to print money.

the more cynical of us will be concerned with how much this 2 year ubertest will cost. i dislike the current regime where a fail for anything other than very minor issues means you have lost £50 for the test and will be expected to fork out again for a retest. i dont believe for a moment the price will go down if it is changed to 2 years. for someone like me who buys old smokers and drives around in them until they fail so badly its not worth repairing it might be a bonus i suppose as i might never have to pay for a test again :LOL:

4 years is a long time for an initial test, some motorway munchers could feasibly be up to almost 200k before their first inspection, scary. add on to that the scenario where some unscrupulous garages dont actually inspect the vehicle at all and merely do the paperwork there could be 10 year old cars not seeing a test for 4 years too. a small percentage of cars on the road perhaps but still scary.

I see plenty of cars driving at night with faulty lights, so I suppose this will enable them to go for up to two years without changing a bulb.

I see plenty of cars driving at night with faulty lights, so I suppose this will enable them to go for up to two years without changing a bulb.
Never mind at night - its the lights they use during the day that bother me - brake lights. The sheer number of cars out there with one or no brake lights working is astonishing. All of you - yes, you - go out now - yes, now - and check your brake lights. Then come back here and tell me if they are working ok. You can do this yourself by reversing your car upto a wall, or better, a window or shiny garage door.

And the number of cars I see with smoke coming from the exhaust is amazing too. There is no legal requirement to service a car annually, but obviously this is the main factor in improving efficiency and emmisions. The MOT in effect makes servicing a legal annual requirement due to the emmisions tests. Imagine all the people who dont give a monkeys, that would skip every other service, and only have it done for the MOT, driving around for a year with smoke coming from the car.

I can imagine in this scenario, that most people would only bother about their cars when they break down and every 24 months for a service and MOT.

check your brake lights. Then come back here and tell me if they are working ok. You can do this yourself by reversing your car upto a wall, or better, a window or shiny garage door.

Sorry I misread your post. I did that and now I have no brake lights, I thought you meant back INTO a wall :LOL: only kidding

And the number of cars I see with smoke coming from the exhaust is amazing too. There is no legal requirement to service a car annually, but obviously this is the main factor in improving efficiency and emmisions. The MOT in effect makes servicing a legal annual requirement due to the emmisions tests. Imagine all the people who dont give a monkeys, that would skip every other service, and only have it done for the MOT, driving around for a year with smoke coming from the car.

I can imagine in this scenario, that most people would only bother about their cars when they break down and every 24 months for a service and MOT.

I completely agree. Although the smoke thing I'm not so sure on. I have an old 96 Pug 405 Estate TD. I change the oil every 4k and service the other bits every 12 months and it is still quite smokey. Tried a few things but I guess it just the way of the old diesel engine.

I dont need a brake light coming on to tell me Im getting closer, try driving with a bigger distance between the car in front & you want worry about a brake light.

Sponsored Links
Back