4.8m x 4.8m decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just started a decking project. It is 4.8x4.8
For the outer frame one side is attached to a brick wall and the rest I have put concreated posts in.

I am running 4.8m joists at 400mm centers so total of 12 including the two edge ones. The bit I'm stuck on is how many posts do I need for this?

I can provide a rough drawing is that will help but I am thinking along each 4.8m joist to have 4 posts (one every 1.6m) but do I need to do that for every joist as they are only 400mm apart .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have the ground clearance its often easiest to use a joist underneath and perpendicular to the main joist and bolt it to the posts which then only need to be every 3/4 4th joist.

If you don't have the clearance for a bearer like this i would support every joist.

Ok. I do have enough ground clearance to put a 4x2 under the joists so if I did a post every 3 joists so every 1200mm then attached a joist under this should be fine?

So ignoring the perimeterthat would be 9 posts Inside the outer frame?

Only other thing is I will be attaching the bearer to the side of the posts. Can I just use screws for this or do I need bolts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back