Another Deck support advice question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Wondered if someone can give me some peice of mind before I board this deck. I am in the (slooow) process of building a floating deck (4.8m x 2.6m)and I have realised I should have put the double joists that fasten to the support posts in the oppsite direction (perpendicular to the house)so that I had smaller joist spans in between (instead of 4.8m spans). As it is I have cemented 8 posts in then fastened two 4.8m joists (6x2)either side and attached a ledger joist to the back of the house. The remaining joists (4.8m)in between are unsupported except by the noggins at 40cm centres. I am now wondering if I should set some concrete pads under the unsupported joists as well for extra rigidity. If i walk on the unsupprted joists they don't really flex much and I guess that once the boards are screwed down this will strengthen it further but I do have some pretty hefty mates :D
Any advice much appreciated!
(sorry for the naff pic but hope this helps explain)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back