4 camera CCTV system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed PIR security lights to my bungalow and now want to buy and install a 4 camera (motion sensor) CCTV system, colour for daytime and monochrome when light levels fall.
I need about 3 or 4 meters coverage all the way round the property.

I see this system comes with 4 cameras and a DVR that connects to a TV.
That is fine but if I catch an intruder on the DVR how do I get those images onto something I can take to the police?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223910&C=Froogle&U=223910&T=Module

Are these better quality?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220753

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226899

Sponsored Links
you dont want any of those that have cmos cameras. trust me.

I brought one with cmos cameras, i have changed them to ccd cameras, much better picture.

Trouble is i have not got the money to change all the cameras to ccd

your first link said:
USB 2.0 connection for fast backup of video to PC

Then you burn it to disc.

Thanks Steve, what confused me in the first link is next to
"USB connectivity:" it says,
"PC only (external hard drive & memory sticks not supported) "

I am not too PC literate and do not know how I would get the images from the DVR to my PC which is in a different room.

Also not sure if the first link cameras are cmos or ccd.

Would that be possible with the second link which has CCD cameras?

Breezer, the last link was cmos so I will count that one out, the first one I am not sure, it says "maxibrite" whatever that is.

But the second link has CCD cameras but not sure if I can get the images to my PC

Sponsored Links
no, the first one said "Image sensor: 1/3 inch SSC "

I do not know what that is / what the quality is like.

I also do not think steve is quite right.

I do know, you can not copy any pictures to a removable memory stick or external hard drive (which is why it says pc only)

The only way i can see is to run a usb cable from the DVR to the pc, and as you said yours in another room.............
You will also require software for the pc to be able to see DVR, my one "complains" the graphics card is not up to the required spec (for the DVR)

I would suggest to save grief you get a DVR that has a built in disc burner, be that CD or DVD. If i had the money or knew that then, that is waht i would have opted for.

There is nothing wrong with the maplin kits they are good for the money, bu unless you just want to watch it on a monitor you soon realise how limited they are. But that said Im happy to know that one day they wil be of use, even if i have to take a picture of the screen with a digital camera

Thanks for the help Breezer.

It is important to me to be able to get the images from the DVR onto my PC, I do not just want to be able to watch the images on my TV.
So like you said it might be best for me to get a DVR with a built in disc burner.

I searched back for threads with CCTV in the title and read one of your posts where you said you previously had and used an SD card DVR but you soon upgraded.

Can you tell me what you did not like about it?

I ask because that would really suit me, I could just take out the SD card and insert it into my panasonic digital camera that connects via the USB port to my PC where I can use Moviestage to get the pictures or clips onto my hard drive.

Or even simpler for £2.85 buy an integral SD/SDHC card reader and connect it directly to the USB port.

I know you get what you pay for, but I was just looking in the Argos magazine tonight and they have a DVR that records onto an SD card with CCD cameras with LED's (I will telephone tomorrow to see how many LED's).

The cameras are probably nowhere near as good as the ones from Maplins but maybe I could buy some decent cameras from Maplins and use with the Argos DVR, if the cams are RJ11 camera connectors.

Or maybe Maplins sell an SD DVR.

I really like this camera for my back garden
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=46565

i too have seen that camera, but its better to use a normal camera and a separate IR lighjt, (not from maplin) as its cheaper.

please find me the post about a dvr i have with card reader.

I should also point out that just because a DVR can use an SD card does not mean to say it uses the same fromat a digital camera does. (im am saying you best check what format it does use, dont assume its the same as a digital camera)

The argos camera seems to have 3 leds

213-0072973MMA71UC562515X.jpg

I found the post but I was mistaken, it was not you that mentioned an SD DVR. It was the post below yours.

I am sure the cameras are poor quality especially in low light.
I telephoned the helpline today and they do only have 3 LED's.

But I do like the idea of an SD DVR.
Have you seen any sold seperately anywhere or with decent cameras, I can't find any.

Hi bluenun20, I think you were talking about my post!

The SD DVR I had wasn't very good mainly due to poor picture quality and somewhat selective motion detection. It would fill the card by recording grass waving in the wind but didn't capture people walking up my drive. I also started with a cheap CMOS but quickly upgraded to 1/3 CCD. The quality is good and the IR LEDs have lasted on these cameras whereas half the LEDs on the cheap CMOS are now dead.

I went for a 4 chan DVR with H.264, LAN connection and 500GB drive which was £200 inc delivery from China but you can buy cheaper without H.264. The cameras worked out about £32 each also inc delivery.

Hi Rob, yes it was your post so thanks for replying.

I have been looking at either the silver or gold option here.

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/CCTV+Kits/Domestic+CCTV+Kits.htm

which comes with,

1 x Jupiter V2 - 4ch - H264 Ultra High Resolution DVR + LAN, Internet Viewing, USB, VGA
1 x 160 GB Industrial SV35 HDD Memory module fitted & configured (other options available, select from above)
4 x High Resolution External Pro 25M IR Cameras - Now 520TVL - Fantastic Image
4 x 20M BNC-BNC + Power cables - These connect to Camera to recorder and Power
1 x 5 Amp Regulated Pro CCTV Power supply
1 x 4 Way Poer splitter - allows system to be run from just one PSU.
1 x 4mm Foamex Quality warning sign
1 x A6 Window Sticker CCTV warning sign
1 x Pack of screws, raw plugs and cable clips.
1 x Wiring guide
24 Months comprehensive warranty

500GB HDD extra £59.

What I do not like is, the cameras are not PIR activated and
"The only way to view the images on your PC is to network the DVR. You will need a fixed IP address available from your network provider and some sort of IT help to access your PC and to get past the firewalls. If you have some IT knowledge then have a go at it yourself, if not we suggest you get in some help. We do not offer help with networking as every PC is different and every access is different."

That sounds too complicated for my limited knowledge.

I have never ordered anything directly from China before.
Do you have a link to the company so I can take a look?

I have installed PIR security lights to my bungalow and now want to buy and install a 4 camera (motion sensor) CCTV system, colour for daytime and monochrome when light levels fall.
I need about 3 or 4 meters coverage all the way round the property.

I see this system comes with 4 cameras and a DVR that connects to a TV.
That is fine but if I catch an intruder on the DVR how do I get those images onto something I can take to the police?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223910&C=Froogle&U=223910&T=Module

Are these better quality?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220753

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226899[/QUOTE]

and you think the dibble will take positive action from a low cost system??
And the captured images are in a format acceptable to a Court of Law??

Hi Rob, yes it was your post so thanks for replying.

I have been looking at either the silver or gold option here.

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/CCTV+Kits/Domestic+CCTV+Kits.htm

which comes with,

1 x Jupiter V2 - 4ch - H264 Ultra High Resolution DVR + LAN, Internet Viewing, USB, VGA
1 x 160 GB Industrial SV35 HDD Memory module fitted & configured (other options available, select from above)
4 x High Resolution External Pro 25M IR Cameras - Now 520TVL - Fantastic Image
4 x 20M BNC-BNC + Power cables - These connect to Camera to recorder and Power
1 x 5 Amp Regulated Pro CCTV Power supply
1 x 4 Way Poer splitter - allows system to be run from just one PSU.
1 x 4mm Foamex Quality warning sign
1 x A6 Window Sticker CCTV warning sign
1 x Pack of screws, raw plugs and cable clips.
1 x Wiring guide
24 Months comprehensive warranty

500GB HDD extra £59.

What I do not like is, the cameras are not PIR activated and
"The only way to view the images on your PC is to network the DVR. You will need a fixed IP address available from your network provider and some sort of IT help to access your PC and to get past the firewalls. If you have some IT knowledge then have a go at it yourself, if not we suggest you get in some help. We do not offer help with networking as every PC is different and every access is different."

That sounds too complicated for my limited knowledge.

I have never ordered anything directly from China before.
Do you have a link to the company so I can take a look?

My experience has been with this seller and they seemed very good value as they are the manufacturer:
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/savers-mall

They are also flexible on price so try punting in an offer on a "best offer" listing. I've ordered a few things and their customer service was very helpful and honest.

Regarding PC connections networking is the best option. I can check my CCTV over the internet, even on my mobile phone. However without a network you can still plug in a USB disk into some systems and archive off any video to watch on your PC.

Don't worry about PIR on the cameras, the motion detection on a DVR is much more advanced than PIR.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Just My 2 p worth.

I dont see the point of being able to watch where th cameras are from my mobile phone, or other PC.

I was at a directors house and he showed me his set up, we watched the people in his company canteen, the pictures were very sharp, but i asked him what is the point. to which he said "Because i can see who is taking too long and because i can"

Now suppose you "tune in" to your house and you see some one you dont like the look of, what are you going to do ?
As far as i can see there is nothing you can do only worry. The police will not be interested, yiou are only a private individual.

I have seen "talk back" where you can literaly talk (shout) at the person you can see, but what if you are not watching 24/7?

Its very clever to be able to see from else where, but to me it seems pointless and too expensive for a domestic situation. if any thing is relly done you have the video to prove it.

As for the Argos cameras to quote "churhill" "er, no"

the Imported suff looks ok, but do bear in mind its imported, customs can slap import and vat on it if they want to.

I would also suggest you look around at other UK cctv suppliers, I am not saying anyone in particular, just that if you recall, i did get a IR led light for just one camera and it came from the UK

Just My 2 p worth.

I dont see the point of being able to watch where th cameras are from my mobile phone, or other PC.

I was at a directors house and he showed me his set up, we watched the people in his company canteen, the pictures were very sharp, but i asked him what is the point. to which he said "Because i can see who is taking too long and because i can"

Now suppose you "tune in" to your house and you see some one you dont like the look of, what are you going to do ?
As far as i can see there is nothing you can do only worry. The police will not be interested, yiou are only a private individual.

I have seen "talk back" where you can literaly talk (shout) at the person you can see, but what if you are not watching 24/7?

Its very clever to be able to see from else where, but to me it seems pointless and too expensive for a domestic situation. if any thing is relly done you have the video to prove it.

As for the Argos cameras to quote "churhill" "er, no"

the Imported suff looks ok, but do bear in mind its imported, customs can slap import and vat on it if they want to.

I would also suggest you look around at other UK cctv suppliers, I am not saying anyone in particular, just that if you recall, i did get a IR led light for just one camera and it came from the UK

Obviously it depends on your application but a web server tends to be included in any decent spec DVR now. For me I find it handy that I can check from my laptop over wifi without being near the DVR unit. Perhaps not something worth paying big money for but a nice added extra if the DVR is tucked away in another room.

The DVR I have includes the talk back function which I have no use for but I suppose if you wanted to you could also connect the PTZ output on the back to a door solenoid and use the talk back as an intercom to buzz people into a flat/office.

As for the mobile phone bit I think it is most useful if you have interior cameras that only detect movement when you are out. The DVR allows you to set certain times of the day for motion detection so perhaps if you set your house to be monitored while at work you would receive a photo message of any movement caught. There was a news story about a guy seeing his house being burgled from Spain and calling the police who turned up and caught the guys: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6091170.stm

I do agree that you need to consider whether you really need any of this but if you are buying a H.264 recorder you seem to end up with the features anyway as it's just a question of manufacturers adding software once you have a LAN connection. The main issue for a lot of domestic users is probably configuring them.

Regarding import charges - I have had a couple but the ebay seller above refunded my costs in full (including the couriers admin charge) on both occasions without any fuss. I wouldn't say buying from China is risk free but my experience has been good and I've got some bargains for the risk.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back