4 gang switches with a problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have an interesting problem. I have a 4 switch gang box in the laundry room. These switches control 3 lights from what I can tell. There is a wire going into the bottom of one of the switches so I figure this is the feed. Unfortunately, the main light in the room needs 2 of the switches to be turned on to make the light go on. I know this is not correct. I have had the opportunity to open the wall and ceiling for some renovations. What I want to do is as follows

I want to remove the existing light and install 2 recessed lights in tandem. I know I have to wire the 2 recessed lights together at their respective boxes which are part of the recessed light fixture. I am also going to remove 1 of the switches in the gang box. So what I will be left with are 3 switches that will hopefully control 3 lights seperately (the other 2 switches control outside flood lights). The question is, how do I wire this to make each light switch operate a different light? I don't want to have 2 switches turned on to turn the room light on. If you could give me a step by step procedure I would appreciate it. I would also appreciate any information on what types of light switches to buy so I can do this. I will get rid of the old switches. :eek:

Sponsored Links
For what its worth read this please

(you had to be reminded that you first posted in U.K. Electrics, which I have now removed)

Sponsored Links
Back