how to add switch & light to 3 wire receptecle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an end of run 3 wire receptacle and I would like to add another light fixture controlled by a switch to that. How do you run the wires from the 3 wire receptacle to the switch and then to the light fixture? I only want the switch to control the light fixture. if you have a diagram that would be helpfull

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Assuming that this is just a regular 120V receptacle at the end of the run, fed from a single cable which will have black, white, and bare ground conductors:

Run your new length of NM cable (Romex - assuming that's what you're most likely to be using) from the existing receptacle box to the light switch. Unless other factors require larger cable (e.g. it's bunched with other cables), then you would generally use #14 if it's a 15A circuit or #12 if it's a 20A circuit. Then continue with another length of the same cable from the new switch to the lighting fixture.

At the original receptacle, connect black, white and bare ground to the corresponding conductors of the incoming cable. At the switch, connect the two white wires together with a suitable wire-nut in the back of the box, and connect each of the two black wires to the two switch terminals. The ground wires should be connected together and to the box/switch frame, of course. Then you'll just have black, white and ground to connect at the lighting fixture, and the new switch will turn it on and off.

Sponsored Links
Back