4 inches causing agro..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
no it's not what you think... ;)

need the board itself moving over about 4 inches so I can box some pipes in. this could be done by simply putting the meter the other side of the cutout.. but would need the cutout and meter etc removing from the board to re-position it.. as seen in picture below..

View media item 13605
seen a van in the area regularly that says something about metering services on the side of it..
think they'd re-arrange my meterboard for me If I flagged him down and bunged him a 20? or do they have to go through the proper channels?

I've been passed back and forth from N-power and Central networks..

Sponsored Links
read the title - got exited. :p :p
read the first sentence - go tbored :cry: :oops:

i wonder if this installation has been visited by the seal fairy yet?

comes from the same hole as the red does behind the board, which is more or less directly behind the cutout fuse..

fairly worried about the splendid earthing job though... ;)

View media item 2888

Sponsored Links
yeah, really?

I 'know' someone who moved his own meter that far across about five years ago, he was careful, no one is dead. :LOL:

it appears in singles from a conduit in the wall.. I presume that they go downstairs where they likely have the supply split into 2..
it appears to be VIR to me too. hence why I want the pro's in to move it..

must admit I did try myself.. took the screws out and had a look behind the board.. not enough slack or I'd have done it.. so I put it back and tried to get the pro's..

i wonder what the situation would be if the VIR insulation was damaged in some way?

I wonder if that would mean it might be the DNO's equipment and if they might be obliged to make it safe somehow.

hhmmm...

At Nanna-Click-Sure's house there used to be VIR singles down from were the overhead hit the building down to the service head.

Got EMEMB (as it was back-in-the-day) to replace with split con, change the cutout for PME and install an isolator, didn't charge a penny :)

Ahh, those heady pre-privitisation days!

View media item 13613
I want to box in the area in red.. it gives me an access to get cables down to the boiler, fridge socket, WM & DW on the adjacent wall, and bonding down to the gas and water..
I need it 500 wide to get an upper cabinet onto and the boxing in will bring it out flush to the front of my fridge, which is 650 deep for some reason..

View media item 13143

If I'm right, this means your consumer unit will be on show.

Why not box in the whole lot, boiler, pipes, consumer unit, down to the worktop and have a door on it, or removeable panels. Does the boiler sit above the worktop level?

the boiler would be that big silver thing in the photo... ;)

I HATE that fraking corned.. water comes up there, gas meter is there on the floor, electric is there, boiler is there..

it's a pain..

gotta cut the side out of the corner unit so they can read the gas meter..

I am considering boxing the boiler and board in, but I still need the pipes boxed in so I have a flat surface to put the upper onto.. it would still cover the meter if it stays where it is..

Here's what i'd do (and you're not loosing any storage space)

Loose the 500 unit in front of the boiler, and the worktop above.

Between the fridge freezer and this corner, install full-height cabinets (a 500w and a 600w?)

The RHS cabinet may need modifying slightly (infill strips maybe between the 2 cabinets, or a big chunk cut out around the meter etc and loose the back board), but I think its a good compromise.

You do loose countertop space unfortunately. To make up for this, fit a bit of worktop between the F/F and the 300 unit, supported on a batten and / or shelf brackets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back