4 Storey House - Pump needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have been having a brand spanking new CH system installed in a 4 storey back-to-back terrace in Leeds.

The system being installed is a WB Junior 24i, and is being based in cellar. The pressure of the water to bath tub appears to be quite slow, compared with the hot tap within the bathroom, which is on the 1st floor.

Should there a pump to push the water up so high, especially as there a 2nd floor with the main bedroom above?

Thanks for any advice chaps!

Marie

Sponsored Links
You cannot fit a pump to combi boiler to increase pressure.

Do you have good mains pressure?

Is your bathroom(s) currently supplied with storage water from a tank in the loft?

Could the boiler be installed elsewhere? Maybe in the loft?

The boiler seems a little small for the 4 story house.

How many radiator do you have?

How many baths/showers and other hot taps do you have?

Why are you asking here rather than asking the CORGI registered installer?

He will know all about the operating parameters.

Or have you employed a cheap East European who is not qualified ?

Tony

Cheeky man Agile!

And no, I have employed a local man, who was recommended to me.

The house is only 2 bedrooms, with a total of 4 radiators. There is only 1 sink / toilet and 1 basin in the kitchen. I think he said a total of 90m of copper piping has been used!

The mains’ pressure is strong and powerful, and we are learning to be careful when turning on the cold tap.

Ah okay, about the hot water. I guess, its just going to take 20mins to ½ fill a bath tub with hotwater. Maybe I have just been used to using an immersion heater and it was quicker.

It had just seemed strange to have 2 different water pressures coming to the same floor for the bath and the sink…. :p

Thanks
Marie

Sponsored Links
You really need a 28-35kw boiler if you want faster hot water delivery.

WB do these too.

Oh Rats,

Out of the quotes I received, only 1 suggested a 28!

NM Thanks for the help guys, I guess I will teach me to really appreciate the hot water supply.

Marie

I suppose you've had the cylinder taken out now :(

I like cylinders.

It is possible to use them even with a combi boiler (because a cylinder is so good for a bath) but this is not often done.

Most probably you have the same water flow at the basin tap as the bath tap, but because the bath tap is bigger it seems sluggish.

Your combi boiler should provide about 9 li/min of hot water.

Can you measure the flow rate at your bath? Is it something like that?

If it is then its correct for your boiler.

However no competent heating engineer would specify a 24 kW boiler for owners who like baths! A minimum of 28 kw amnd a 32 or 35 kW would be normal. A 24 kW is the basic model much liked by landlords!

If the installer recommended this then what does he have to say about it now?

Tony

It is common to find these 24kw boilers in back to back houses in Leeds.
They are mainly fitted in cellar with prv going to basement floor. Flue 2 inches above pavement outside,and fitted to old systems and never flushed.
Pump will go every year if not flushed.
But hw supply is dreadful.You often get NO hw at all upstairs if any demand elsewwhere.
Can heat rads no problem as usually only 4 or 5 on circuit.
We always specify boiler on hw output only on these properties as heating size is never a problem.

Why are you asking here rather than asking the CORGI registered installer?

He is asking here, and that is his business why he asks here. Please go to a CORGI only forum. Do you have to be so dumb at times?

It seems like a CORGI goon fitted it.

Oh Rats,

Out of the quotes I received, only 1 suggested a 28!

NM Thanks for the help guys, I guess I will teach me to really appreciate the hot water supply.

Marie

Anything less than 35kW will fill a bath slowly. Even a 24kW is good for a shower - but only one. A 38kW and above will do two showers at once.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your posts.

We have been very much use to coping with out any hot water (except when I put the immersion heater on), so learning to only use one source of hot water at time shouldn't be too difficult.

We have only been having baths, as the thermostatic shower has not been connected yet, and so thats all we have had available. A sink wash does not feel very 'cleansing'.

Until next time :confused:

Marie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back