Placing a Room Stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After 10 years, I am finally getting CH installed (Worcester Greenstar 24i Junior) with a Salus room stat. However, all the quotes I have received have given me different suggestions on the location, and the plumber who is installing it, says it’s up to you.

I have a 100yr old 4 story south-facing back-to-back terrace based in Leeds. This means that I have a house directly sitting right behind me e.g. no back door, and only 1 room wide. A sample of these houses can be found at http://212.50.188.108/cgi-win/vebra.cgi?details1?src=agent&PropertyCode=1976001/STANL/10291/1

I have a cellar (boiler's location), on the ground floor - front door leads directly onto front room (no entrance way) and the kitchen directly next to the front door. The stairs are at the back of the house and wind back 180°. Stairs open onto a tiny landing, leading to bathroom and first floor bedroom (spare). The stairs then lead up and do another 180° which leads to the main bedroom (ours). All the radiators, baring the bathroom, are being installed under the windows.

My current sources of heating are 2 mobile oil heaters, and an inefficient gas fire (which does provide some heat) in the front room.

So my question would be, where would the best place to put it be?

Thanks in advance. :D
M

Sponsored Links
Usually in coldest part of the house (not inc garage, shed or cellar). 1500mm from floor, away from direct sunlight, and in same area (but not above) radiator without TRV.

A bit unconventional I suppose, and perhaps not for some people, but I have a Honeywell Wireless Room Stat that I place on the Coffee Table in front of me.

I put the thermostat where the Missus and I want to be.

I set it to around 21/22 degrees, place it mostly in the Living Room on the Coffee Table in front of us.

Job Done :D Toasty.

This also allows me to take it in the Dining Room if that is where we are and then turn the TVRs down in the Living Room for the period. After all, who wants the Living Room at that temp. if your not using it?:cool:

Hope this helps. But no doubt some 'Jobs Worth' will say words to the effect

"Thats not the way to do it" :!: :!:

P.S. Its a Thermostatic Timer with loads of options too many to mention here by the way.

It just sits where we want it and looking pretty into the bargain :)

Sponsored Links
I know this type of house very well as i work in Leeds, i personally would have it fitted in your living room, this is where you are likely to spend most of your time. Fit it near the stair door so its away from direct sunlight and away from the heat you will get from the kitchen.

Definitely like the wireless idea and moving it from place to place, I will check to see if they have one available, as this plumber really does like this brand.

And, Lag, its great that someone actually knows whats these houses are, as the number of times I have been asked by visiting friends (despite being told beforehand), "where's the back door?" LOL

Thanks once again guys
M :LOL:

The Wireless Programmer/Room Stat I have is the Honeywell CM927.

A Google will probably get you one for around £94.

It can be fixed on a wall if you wish, but then can be taken off and it comes with a little stand for placing on a coffee table etc.

You just tap in the temp. you want the room to be. Job Done. :)

Loads of programming options as well. I understand that the standard battery's last around 2 years.

There are lots of back to backs in leeds, the firm i work for owns hundreds but they can be very nice and i suspect because of the fact you have neighbours on 3 sides they should be cheap to heat, just pray you dont have drainage problems.
We get so many calls for drains blocking and cellars full of waste water its unreal.

Umm, Lag, You have obviously seen my Q in General DIY: There's a hidden drip in my cellar....

LOL
M

I also work in Leeds and know back to backs "inside out", collapsed drain comes to mind on this one! Get it dye tested ,or a camera survey!

Keith.

There are lots of back to backs in leeds, the firm i work for owns hundreds but they can be very nice and i suspect because of the fact you have neighbours on 3 sides they should be cheap to heat, just pray you dont have drainage problems.
We get so many calls for drains blocking and cellars full of waste water its unreal.

Unless it's a Gable end Glen!

Nope, sorry!, you need to get professional assistance, let your fingers do the walkin', get on the blower!

Keith.

Taking the stat into the rooms with you is fine if you haven't got TRV's- but you shouldn't have to if the system is designed properly- and if you have TRV's in there you're defeating the object and could easily have your boiler chugging away non stop. Not so effecient then eh?

This also allows me to take it into the Dining Room if that is where we are and then turn the TVRs down in the Living Room for the period. After all, who wants the Living Room at that temp. if your not using it? icon_cool.gif

Kaboom. I think I covered that in the above post.

I have the Wireless Programmer/Thermostat in the room that I am using, lets say the ining Room. Elsewhere I have the TVRs at whatever (normally from 1 to 3) in the rooms I am not using.

Scenario:- One is spending most of the evening in the Dining Room, perhaps because you have Guests. What is the point of a FIXED Thermostat set at say 22 in the Living Room so as to provide 22 in the Dining Room?

Best to turn the TVRs to say 2 for the time you are not using the Living Room, and open them (Or it) when you are back in the Living Room with the Thermostat still on say 22 degrees.

If one didn't have Central Heating, only open fires, would you have an open Fire burning full in both rooms. You would probably keep one ticking over with the room that you are in for the evening using more coal than the one that you where not in.

I now go for a lay down in a dark room :) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back