Placing a Room Stat

However bold you type you are still missing the point- but as long as you're happy, what the heck?

Sponsored Links
Logic says room stat is set to maintain comfort zone which it does best in the area around which it is fitted. The heating in the other areas simply 'follows' the on's and off's of the system.

Question - which area of the house are you most concerned with maintaining this comfort zone? Normally the living room where the TV is etc. So this is normally, in my opinion, best place for room stat.

All the quotes I have received have given me different suggestions on the location
As these people have seen the property, they may have seen something we can't. What different locations did they suggest?

Cripes lots of replies! :LOL:

K, our main room used is the top floor bedroom - its the internet / computers. We are both gamers, so we do spend a lot of time on them.

The secondary primary room is the front room (tv etc), although the fella would probably say the kitchen LOL!

Places suggested:
* bottom of stairs, but within the front room
* bottom of stairs but on the wall by the bannister (within the stairwell)
* top of the landing (by bathroom and spare room doors)
* top of the stairs in the main bedroom (on the top floor's light switch)

Cheers
M

Sponsored Links
Hmm, you don't really seem to have a perfect solution. Ideally a thermostat should be:

1. Not on an outside wall (especially in older properties without cavity insulation)

2. In a room without another heat source (ie gas fire, kitchen, lots of electrical equipment etc.,)

3. Ideally not in a room subject to direct sunlight. A north facing shady room is best, so the other rooms heat up first and are controlled by their own TRV's before the thermostat turns off the heating system.

4. Away from draughts.

5. In a room with a radiator (sounds silly I know, but I've seen thermostats in internal passages or hallways without radiators in. If the doors are closed the rest of the house is warm but the thermostat doesn't switch off because no heat reaches it) The radiator in the same room as the thermostat mustn't have a TRV

Regarding the places that were suggested to you:

* bottom of stairs, but within the front room - Possible, but will be effected by the gas fire if you use it.
* bottom of stairs but on the wall by the bannister (within the stairwell) If the stairs are enclosed and don't have a radiator this is not a good idea (see 5 above)
* top of the landing (by bathroom and spare room doors) If it's an internal landing, heat may become trapped as it rises and turns off the heating when it could still be cold downstairs.
* top of the stairs in the main bedroom (on the top floor's light switch) - If this is the gaming room not a good idea if there's a lot of heat generating equipment.

Personally I would go with locating it in the front room and avoid using the gas fire if the heating was on.

However bold you type you are still missing the point- but as long as you're happy, what the heck?

I have stopped using bold as I realize it really isn't protocol.

And YES. As long as I am Happy.........................................

What the heck :!: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back