4 SWITCH WALL PLATE PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see this is UK based site, but since this seems basic I thought I\\\'d drop a line.

I have a 4 switch wall plate, the 1 switch that opearates the ceiling light only works when the switch is held in the middle, flipping it up/down will no longer turn the light on.

There is also 2 more sets of plates in this room. these with only 2 switches, the one switch that also operates the ceiling light no longer works at all on these plates, not even when holding the switch in the middle unlike the one on the 4 switch plate.

Here is my solution, please verify if this will simply work.

Turn off power to this room, replace the unit on the 4 plate wall switch that at least works when holding it in the middle with a new switch, then turn power back on, and see if all works again.

Sound about right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are your 4 switches detachable from the wall plate, are they clipped in?
I worked in Egypt a while ago and the switches were seperate to the front plate, unlike in the U.K. where it is a 'one piece' unit.
I had a lot of problems with the light switches in the front room (120v), when I looked inside, after switching power off of course, the problem was due to sooty deposits on the contacts which were steel coloured, not copper as here.
I scraped them clean with a stanley knife and they worked fine for 6 months, but the sooty deposits built up again. I don't know if this is a common problem with 120v.
But if your switches are as above then yes, changing/cleaning the switch should solve your problem.

(masona,, No.4 working again :!: :LOL: . I feel forti5ed :!: )

scoby, we do have a similar style in the uk, but not used for domestic installations they are called grid switches see this

Sponsored Links
After seeing that breezer I can probably understand why I was having probs. They most likely used the cheapest switches they could which weren't up to the job (2 switches controlling 14 strip lights round the room, 2 controlling fan lights).
The company always wanted something for nothing (But I don't come that cheap !!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back