4 gang light switch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is it possible to get a four gang light switch with two dimmers on the one switch plate or does it have to be two seperate plates with two sets of two switches?

I have a through lounge two ceiling lights and two 'sets' of wall lights and one four gang switch on the wall that controls all lights. I'd like to have the ability to dim the wall lights but the ceiling lights are not suitable to be dimmed, so can't go for a 4 way dimmer...

I've had a look around but can't see anything so I think I know what the answer is, but I thought I'd ask the pro's to confirm!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Get a grid plate and fit 2 switches and 2 dimmers.
I didn't think you could fit two dimmers and two switches on a four gang grid plate - MK raise the potential for overheating - so they have to be specifically arranged.
Don't forget you will probably need at least a 35mm deep double back box and probably a 45mm.

AFAIK you are just supposed to not put two dimmer modules next to each other, so

switch---dimmer---switch---dimmer

or

dimmer---switch---switch---dimmer

would be ok.

Sponsored Links
So, do not use MK dimmers. Richmnod dimmers work fine next to each other. Or buy a 4 gang dimmer (yes theycan work next to each other without having a nervous breakdown) and swop two of the dimmers for the non-dimming switch modules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back