4 wires to 3 wires on a pir floodlight help

Sponsored Links
This circuit will provide full override control, ON, OFF and PIR
full

There are no wiring instructions , might just put a plug on it and plug it into a socket

Sponsored Links
Do this first.

Put the brown wire in with the yellow instead of the red (as you suggested).
Switch on the power then the switch.
Wait for light to go out - if it works like that - switch still on.

Then
Switch the switch off and on twice.
See if the light stays on permanently - longer than the time period.

Do this first.

Put the brown wire in with the yellow instead of the red (as you suggested).
Switch on the power then the switch.
Wait for light to go out - if it works like that - switch still on.

Then
Switch the switch off and on twice.
See if the light stays on permanently - longer than the time period.
Success that works thanks,john

So, you will have to leave the switch on for the pir to work.

If you want to of course, you can turn the switch upside down.

I've read this thread with interest - and would like to say thanks to the contributors for helping with the idea of connecting the Live of the combined lamp + PIR to the switched live of the junction box. It 'kind-of' works for me. My setup is different though, I have 2x combined PIR lamps. The one on the left is the new one, which has 3 connections (L,N,E) - where the L connected to the SL on the junction box you can see just above it.

The junction box has 2x E, N, L and 1x SL on one side of the terminal block, which I assume is the PIR from the right-sided light. So the left-sided new combined lamp + PIR only functions properly during the time the right-sided combined lamp + PIR is on, but not when it's off.

Anyone have any ideas on whether there's a way of making the new combined lamp + PIR work independently of the existing right-sided one? Thanks for any help you can provide.

upload_2021-12-12_17-41-15.png

Anyone have any ideas on whether there's a way of making the new combined lamp + PIR work independently of the existing right-sided one?
Only by rewiring so that one has a permanent supply.

The better solution is to use one or more separate PIRs, and one or more lights.

Lights with built in PIRs are useless, as to get the PIR covering the required area results in the lamp blazing horizontally into peoples' eyes, or if the light is positioned properly at a decent height directed downwards, the PIR is useless as it only covers a tiny area directly below the light.

PIRs normally mounted at about 2 - 3m above ground level and positioned so that people walk across in front of them, not directly towards them.
Lights of the flood variety mounted 5-6m above ground level directed downwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back