40cm x 40cm cooker extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my chimney breast raised as much as possible for a built under cooker and induction hob, there's a metal flue in situ and am trying to find an extracter fan to fit into the small 40cm x 40cm opening we've now got.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm considering modfiying one if necessary.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have noted with my father-in-laws house next door but one where he cooks on gas he really does need an extractor fan the room gets quite damp on a test we found 90% humidity in kitchen.

Identical house using induction hob with all the auto setting like auto boil then simmer and of course no moisture from burning gas we see the humidity of around 60% so other than remove cooking smells which I like anyway so don't really want removing to that extent we just don't need an extractor.

Mothers new kitchen again electric had a lovely extractor fitted and it is never turned on it's just a decoration. I sometimes use the built in lamp that's it.

So a hood with just charcoal filters would likely be good enough with an induction hob just so it looks the part.

Can you explain where the 40cm. x 40cm. requirement comes from?

The fireplace is obviously more than 40cm. wide.

Can you explain where the 40cm. x 40cm. requirement comes from?
screenshot_64.jpg

The fireplace is obviously more than 40cm. wide.
But doesn't look wide enough for it to be a good place for a hob.

Sponsored Links
If so, although plenty of room, width-wise, for a normal cooker hood it may be too low - so a plate and fan.

Assuming the worktop is the usual 90ish cm the width would appear to be around 80cm.
A bit tight for a hob, perhaps, but ok ???

There are hoods with a very shallow visible profile but you may have to remove some chimney to accommodate the 'works' or there are fans which go on the top of the flue.

Hi, sorry I didn't make it clearer, here's some extra info:
sorry image info is dire :D

Ignore the worktop to the left, it's a 50cm depth so looks deceptive and is to be removed.

So new worktop right across, under counter electric oven, inductor hob and hope to get small extractor at the point where the lintel went in. The 40cm x 40cm gap I have is width at top and depth from lintel to rear bricks

Chimney runs up middle dead centre in my house, with kitchen/lounge either side of it ground floor and 2 beds either side of it upstairs.

Looking up

Thanks guys,

Doubtful if any hob can be satisfactorily installed in that space - the height of the bare opening is already too little for a gas hob, some electrics might be permitted there (650mm minimum for many but only if an extractor is installed above) but that ignores the tapering sides which are far lower, and the fact that if a mini extractor was found, it would not be the full width of the hob anyway.

Proper solution is to install the cooking appliances elsewhere in the room, or remove the chimney breast completely.

Thanks for the replies, kind of what I was expecting really, shall ponder on course of action.

Would some kind of standard kitchen fan (white plastic box looking type) be ok? Maybe with some kind of baffle just in front if appearance is important?

My parents have just bought a Vortice Kappa canopy fan for their kitchen, I took delivery of it this morning and I'm wondering whether it might be suitable for this purpose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back