40mm waste pipe underground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to run some 40mm waste pipe from a sink/washing machine out the wall and then about a foot underground for 3m to the gulley (to pass some french doors). Is that OK practice and do I need to bed it in something in particular like sand ? (I can get the required rate of fall to the gulley).

Cheers !

P.J.

Sponsored Links
At 40mm you are limited to a maximum unvented branch pipe of 3m. This is measured from the furthest trap.

Sponsored Links
If its not going to be buried very deep my concern would be that it will get damaged and leak. If it does your house will get damp.

A better solution would be to dig up the drains and run a new gully and straight run of drain to join the old one at a new or existing man hole.

GO ON hire that mini digger.

"Pea Gravel" is what's usually used for drain underground. Use the best quakity stuff like Terrain, and I'd go up a size to 2". Less likely to give any bother and easier to clear if it does.

Thanks for all the advice.

My waste goes: Sink, 2.5M of waste pipe, washing machine trap, out the wall and under ground, 3m of waste pipe, tap into rainwater drain.

I'll bed the pipe in well and if I get a gurgle at the sink, I'll fit an anti-syphon trap after.

Thanks for all your help.

P.J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back