which route for 40mm waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,
I've attached some photo's of the current set up of the shower+wash basin (no bath) waste into the gulley, this gulley then joins the soil pipe underground by a branch, this soil pipe then joins the main sewer pipe which runs parallel with all the other properties no problem.
We are at the early stages of planning an extension, so everything you see in the photo's will be inside the proposed new room.
I know the black soil pipe/vent you see will have to be boxed in and the vent extended through the roof, also please ignore the brown rain downpipe, which will have to come out obviously.
My question is this,....what is the correct way to take the waste from the shower/basin to the underground system?, the gulley they empty into now I think would be removed because of the new floor in the new room, which will be level with the damp course you can see in the pic's.
Maybe extend the 40mm waste to join up to the black soil pipe with a strap on connection?
Cheers.
P1030689.JPG
P1030690.JPG
P1030689.JPG P1030690.JPG

Sponsored Links
It can be connected directly to the drain using a boss cap, or similar. Whoever put that stack up wants shooting, should finish above the gutter level. At present foul air venting from there can go straight through the vents into the loft space!

Looks like they fitted it upside down - the offset could go over the gutter.

It can be connected directly to the drain using a boss cap, or similar. Whoever put that stack up wants shooting, should finish above the gutter level. At present foul air venting from there can go straight through the vents into the loft space!
The stack terminating where it is now is temporary, as i said....the stack will taken through the roof. cheers.

Sponsored Links
No worries, we do like to see a job done properly! ;)
Hugh, if the 40mm waste you see in the pic was taken straight across to the stack, and a boss strap connection was used approx 3" above the flag level, would that be acceptable? cheers.

Provided there is sufficient fall on the waste then I don't think it'll be a problem. There is a rule about the lowest connection into a stack must be a minimum of 450mm above the invert of the drain, but I think that only applies is the building is 2 storeys or more.

If the waste will then be boxed in after the building works are completed, you need to think about access for cleaning should need arise. May also be wise to fit an anti vac trap if there isn't one already, when altering the pipework..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back