45 Amp fuse wire for MEM horizontal blade rewireable fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to obtain 45 amp fuse wire for a MEM, horizontal blade, rewireable fuse holder. I'm about to install a shower upgrade (7KW to 10.5KW) and my existing fuse is only 30amp. I really don't want the hassle of replacing the complete CU as we are soon moveing north. All other considerations such as necessity of 45 amp dp pull-cord isolator switch, 30mA RCD and minimum 10mm2 cabling are covered.
As an alternative to fuse wire, if its possible to obtain a converter for the horizontal blade MEM rewirable fuse holder to a cartridge fuse holder, I'd be very grateful for a source, but I've been unable to find one so far.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I had an ancient memera rewirable fuse box in our old house, and it couldnt take anything greater than a 30A fuse holder.

I'm sure its main switch was only rated to 60A too.

The only way i could see to do it in the old place was to install a henley block and a new small CU to run the shower, in the end i decided to install a mixer shower and rejigged the plumbing so it was running on mains cold and hot off the combi boiler.

Is it one of these kiddies?

IMGP2406.jpg

All other considerations such as necessity of 45 amp dp pull-cord isolator switch, 30mA RCD and minimum 10mm2 cabling are covered.
Have you covered:

1) The requirement to notify LABC in advance.

2) The installation method of the cable - 10mm² is only OK for 62A if it is not subject to any de-ratings for thermal insulation or other installation method issues, grouping or ambient temperature factors.

Similar design to your pic, but has 8 fuses (4x30A, 1x20A, 2x5A and 1x15A which is currently spare) and main on/off switch rated at 80Amp. Outer box features a smokey (no pun intended) brown semi transparent cover for the fuses and lacks the label at top right corner.

Hi - not sure LABC involved here as its my house - please correct me if I'm wrong here.
No significant deratings as uninsulated and surface mounted throughout cable length (except last foot to shower control-box in bathroom which is inside surface mounted plastic trunking)

Similar design to your pic, but has 8 fuses (4x30A, 1x20A, 2x5A and 1x15A which is currently spare) and main on/off switch rated at 80Amp. Outer box features a smokey (no pun intended) brown semi transparent cover for the fuses and lacks the label at top right corner.
Does any of that mean that it supports 45A circuits?

Hi - not sure LABC involved here as its my house - please correct me if I'm wrong here.
OK - you are wrong: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

No significant deratings as uninsulated and surface mounted throughout cable length (except last foot to shower control-box in bathroom which is inside surface mounted plastic trunking)
That last foot will only be rated at about 52A - not enough. You need to reduce the fuse to no more than 37A, or wire the circuit in 16mm² cable.

Still interested in whether 45A fuse wire can be obtained anywhere.
45A fuse wire can be obtained.
45A carriers to fit in your fusebox cannot.

The correct solution is to fix a small enclosure containing a suitable MCB and RCD next to the existing fusebox.
There is no way you can connect this new circuit into the existing fusebox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back