45 year old heating / hot water system

It can be if
(1) existing taps cannot cope with higher pressure,
(2) showers can be painful to the skin
(3) water can "bounce" out of wash basins when the taps is opened too far.

When a combi boiler goes faulty you do not have the back up of an electric immersion heater to provide hot water.

I agree low pressure taps can be affected by high pressure. Pressure reducing valves are available.
Showers being painful? Reduce the flow rate or fit a multi patterned head. Or pressure reducer.
Water bouncing out of basins, reduce the tap flow. Run as slow as possible and the water wasted will be reduced, handy if you're on a water meter. Or fit a pressure reducer.
The intergas mentioned can be turned into a water heater if the pump goes faulty, and you have to wait for a replacement. As can all the other intergas boilers.

Cylinders are a good option if you will used the stored hot water daily or have 2 or more bathrooms. Have baths or do lots of pot washing by hand.

Sponsored Links
Bernie is an old luddite, he doesn't believe in modern high pressure systems :rolleyes:

an old luddite, he doesn't believe in modern high pressure systems

I do believe in high pressure systems, but in the right place. The complications of keeping a high pressure system safe versus the simplicity and inherent safety of a low pressure system does lead the thinking customer towards low pressure.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice, I thought I was getting railroaded by BG into the pressurised system. The BG engineer claimed, or hinted, that my current system could not be replaced. He refused to consider replacing like for like or to consider any improvements or alternatives based on the boiler room and retaining / amending the open vented system. He was adamant that moving the boiler and switching to a pressurised combi, with all the associated problems was the only solution. He also put the heebie-jeebies up my wife and I by raising the spectre of imminent failure of the loft tanks with gallons of water cascading throughout the building.
To this point I have only contacted BG, as we had a service contract with them, this all started when their service engineer said our current boiler could not be supported, something related to the availability of spare parts.

Current boiler is still working albeit apparently needing some parts. BG didn’t condemn the boiler, just refused to support it further.

I will broaden my search and phone some local plumbers. Thanks again for your assistance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back