4K over HDMI - max length?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm looking to build an AV cupboard to build a stealthy AV setup in a new house. Lots of hidden cables under floors and behind walls, etc. Ideally, a 10m cable would be what I'm after in order to route things neatly, and not have to take shortcuts/chase walls, but I'm getting mixed reviews on what is achievable when sending 4K content over HDMI.

Has anyone had experience sending 4K over relatively long distances, and if so what brand cable did you use?
I've used IBRA cables in my current setup with good results with a 5m cable.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Haven't even got a 4K Tv yet, but I do know that cheap HDI cables are as good as expensive ones. Have a read of the Cnet article, and the related links.

Copper HDMI cable should be good for UHD @60Hz 4:4:4 8bit in 5-6m lengths.

Anything longer than 6m, or using the full 18.2Gbit bandwidth, is probably going to need fibre optic cable as a solution. These do work - mostly - but compared to High Speed copper HDMI @1080p the price difference is huge. £190-ish for 10m.

So the answer very much depends on the signal specs of what you're trying to push around your home. If you want the full beans high frame rate, wide colour gamut, high dynamic range signal from an external source over distance then be prepared to have your wallet bashed. It might even be cheaper (and a lot simpler) to install a player local to the TV and then stick to apps in the TV or a local player box for anything that's going to be expensive/complicated to run at a distance. For anything that isn't native UHD then keep it at its native resolution.

I've had good success with the amazon basics 15.2m HDMI lead with RedMere. (They do a shorter 10m one too)

I haven't tested it in anger as my setup hasn't been fine-tuned yet. Whatever my UHD Blu-Ray Player outputs as standard (4k @ 60hz 24p 4:2:2 ????) it has coped with fine with no artifacts. Whereas I used to run two FTP CAT6's with extenders over the same distance but they struggled (although I suspect it was down to the cheapy HDMI leads I was using to link them either end).

I can highly recommend the amazon lead. At least with Amazon, if it gives you problems, then a refund should be easily sorted.

Sponsored Links
Another option might be to convert to hdsdi and back using boxes that are around £25-100 depending on make

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back