My New Home Cinema & Refurb.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

The above pictures show the beginning of my New Home Cinema setup which will include a 50" Plasma, Epson Projector with Electric Screen and trigger, etc. I own a building company and do many home cinema & Av installations all over the UK. I am one of those sad persons that loves his work and insist on high standards.

After reading and reading the many impressive threads in these forums I thought it was time to post my little project that was started late November 2009.

I will start off with some photo's and will add content as and when as required. At the same time I also welcome any comments or idea's as my project will be ongoing for some time.
My own specification was to have all my AV equipment in another room with no cables on show. This would include the Sky HD, Denon 1610 AVR, HDMI Splitter 1 x 4, Blueray, PS3 etc.

The Plasma will be going into the chimney breast recess, this will then be covered over when the electric screen drops from the ceiling. One of the reasons for buying a Plasma was due to the costs of replacing projector bulbs as we were using the projector nearly all the time. Once you get a big screen you get spoilt!

I started off with taking down my existing screen that was fixed to the wall.
The project started off with the building of the false chimney breast.

Sponsored Links
Looks great.

I will be doing something like this in the near future. Any details like are you using an AV receiver or what youre connecting the projector to or is it all networked, will be a massive help.

My big question right now is isnt a 50" plasma big enough. I was going down the projector route but big plasmas are good and cheap enough now. Do I still do both or just a projector?????

Keep up the good work.

Looks great.

I will be doing something like this in the near future. Any details like are you using an AV receiver or what youre connecting the projector to or is it all networked, will be a massive help.

My big question right now is isnt a 50" plasma big enough. I was going down the projector route but big plasmas are good and cheap enough now. Do I still do both or just a projector?????

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments! You will see later in the forum how good a projector looks with a 50" Plasma. Go for both.

Regards

Phil.

Sponsored Links
When it came to my choice of lighting I am a stickler for safety and building regs. As I own a Building Company I am quite used to working with and knowing the Regulations, more so when about a year ago we could smell something burning but we did not know where it was coming from. Some hours later all the lighting tripped. After replacing a few Halogens a couple of the lights still would not work, so after closer inspection it was discovered that the cheaper fittings that the previous owners had had fitted where the culprits. When fitted they had packed insulation around them, this then caused a build up of heat and they then began to smoulder and combust.

I was shocked to uncover this, as at any time me and my family was at risk due to shoddy work and cheap fittings.

Almost immediately, I set about taking the fittings out, all 50 of them. These was replaced with the correct 1/2 hour fire protection fittings along with heat reflective Halogens as pictured above.

Two days later all the light fittings had been replaced and an adequate gap was left around them for air flow as per instructions.

The offending light fittings was last seen in a skip! An expensive job but you cannot put a price on safety expecially with your family.

PS the bulbs/lights shown above are LED

One of the most difficult decisions to be made whilst building your home cinema is what kit to get. This is a minefield especially if you have no previous experience buying Projectors, Amps, Speakers, Splitters, Blueray Players and Projector Screens etc.

With Forums and the like nobody should be stuck for idea's as you can go to all the threads on various kit. This is what I did as its so difficult at times because of all the choice. In the end I stuck to my budget and posted on various threads to make my mind up about what kit I was going to buy. I took my time and did plenty of research before ordering.

I already had my Projector that I bought a few years back other than that all the other stuff was purchased recently.

I installed The Jamo A102 Speakers quite high up, I know most people will say they should be at head height or similar but this is the position we chose. All the ceiling voids are packed with insulation. The speaker wire is run behing the new coving and exits into the garage. For future use we have also left draw wires in for pulling future cables through.
I came across the Varilight on another thread and was impressed with them especially for my budget. All the downstairs are now fitted with these fittings and are all remotely controlled. They work great with the "Harmony one" I also have a seperate control for backup. In total we have over 50 LV downlights on the ground floor area. I had to get some specially made to cope with the number of lights as they are dimmable. In each room there is a master and a slave. You can even get them to work with your tv remote, very impressed with them.
When fitting the Projector I used a double gang blanking faceplate and carefully drilled out the holes for the cables. I have an HDMI cable 15 metres in length and also Component going from the Projector to the Denon AVR & SKY HD Box. The trigger for the screen also exits this faceplate as well as the power.

The new Sky HD Box 1tb
Just an update, I would really reccomend the PS3 adaptor for the Harmony Control. Mine is placed in another room (garage) and works flawlessly.

I get all 51 commands from the PS3 on my Harmony control. All you do is pair it up, then go into settings on the PS3 and it finds itself. I can now control the PS3 through the Harmony and turn it on and off.

Great bit of kit.
The Denon 1610 AVR.
Xbox 360
All the kit will eventually be rack mounted and hidden away in the garage, no wires on show, etc.
I also added the GS108 8 Port Gigabit Switch to my collection. This speeds things up a little in my setup as well as giving me 8 more ports. All the house is networked with Cat6 and terminated with wallplates.

The pictures above show the Projector and screen fixed and fired up, the PS3 and Xbox are all connected via the splitter and amp sited in the garage out of the way. All the toys are controlled by The Harmony One Controller instead of half a dozen remotes lying around the place. The Harmony even controls the lighting via the Varilight remote wall switch.

All the house is wired up for and protected by CCTV & DVR that is networked, this system will alert me anywhere in the world via my laptop or my iphone. I cant understand why these are not fitted by more people as they beat an alarm any day. When people have seen my setup it seems to urge them on to get CCTV installed. Mine had only been in a week and we caught someone breaking into a neighbours car, I ran off a copy for the police and they arrested the local druggy within days.

The CCTV picture can be viewed from the Plasma, PC or Projector at the touch of a button via the Harmony One.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back