Threading wires through Dot & Dab?

Sgp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm just about to move into a new build house, and I'm hoping to place my TV and speakers in the lounge, but they haven't put a plug or anything where I wanted.

I'm also hoping to run an HDMI cable from one room into the next.

Is it possible to run cabling sideways through a dot and dab wall? (for HDMI, possibly surround sound)

Is it easier to go up into the ceiling, then down the other side for the surround sound?

Every video seems to be just putting an HDMI cable in the wall and running it down underneath for the TV. I want it all wired in in a completely different place!

Likewise with the mains cables, I'm assuming I can't just pop in a junction box, and loosely push the cable through to where I want the plug to be?

Do you have to worry about where your wires are placed for future reference? I was always taught (on block walls) to always clip neatly at 90 degrees angles. How can I achieve this properly on dot and dab?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Cables must be in the correct zones. Basically horizontal or vertical routes from socket /switches etc.
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

As for how you do it in your wall, it’s anybody’s guess. Mr Plasterer can splash fixing dabs all over the place. Sometimes you can get a cable rod in a straight line from A to B but it’s not a given.

Note: most HDMI etc cables come with plugs on each end. You aren’t going to be able to thread that behind dot n dab plasterboard!

So it sounds like it's impossible? How do people usually work with these walls?

It’s not impossible. But can be an art.

I’d go horizontal.

However you just need to be prepared to make several holes on the way and make good.

However getting from one room to another could be difficult.

Need to find out if it’s a breeze block wall or hollow wall. Remove light switches or sockets should give you clues.

You need to buy some rods like this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back