guards required under dot and dab?

G

greeny4

im doing all the electrics for a new extension that is under building regs. Downstairs is complete and ready to be checked by building control. Under dot and dab walls i have just layed the cable on the wall and pushed the plasterboard against it. Do you think he will want to see guards on top of the cable then the plasterboard on top?? cheers Rick.

Sponsored Links
Clipped direct is fine if the circuits are going to be RCD protected.

Capping is better, but not a requirement.

Does "clipped direct" always have to be pinned to something to conform to regulations or is it a generic term, ie will just dropping a cable down a void suffice if RCD protected?

Sponsored Links
A drop too say a lightswitch, would only have a 100mm wide safe zone.
How would you ensure the cable remained within that without clipping.

You can't, so in that case it seems the OP hasn't conformed to any installation methods if, as it seems, he hasn't secured his cables :)

If you mean the plastic/metal capping stuff.
All that does really is keep the cables in there relevant safe position and aid any other work like plastering etc.

Under dot and dab walls i have just layed the cable on the wall and pushed the plasterboard against it.
What's the maximum support interval for cables of that/those size(s) in vertical runs?
I knew someone would ask this question soon. And i predicted / in my mind who it would be. So let of tell you how i knew it would happen like this. There is a book with the answer to your questions in it. But if you are going to do the work yourself, you should already have read it. Otherwise you may not be doing other aspects of the job safely. Complying with the law is not the most important thing here. Your safety is. Please make sure you are not lacking in fundamental knowledge to do the job. Are you sure you have used the right size cable? Yours martin

Straight answer for.

The cable should have been clipped within the safe zones.

It should be RCD protected.

Capping is not a require, it protects the cable from troweling etc, you should have discussed this with LABC, they can be a right bunch of tossers at times.

So you will have to wait and see what your fella says, not a problem to correct thou

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back