4 Core Sheath cut well before pattress box - Ok or unsafe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am doing some general work on my new house (built in 1999) I have noticed that the electrics are quite bad - for example around a double two way light switch the grey sheath has been cut probably about an inch and a half before it enters the pattress box Is this a unsafe? Is it worth doing anything about it. The cable is under dot and dab plasterboard on a breeze block wall.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am doing some general work on my new house (built in 1999) I have noticed that the electrics are quite bad - for example around a double two way light switch the grey sheath has been cut probably about an inch and a half before it enters the pattress box Is this a unsafe? Is it worth doing anything about it. The cable is under dot and dab plasterboard on a breeze block wall.
To have the inner cores of a cable exposed is unsatisfactory, contrary to Wiring Regulations and at least potentially 'unsafe'.

Are you saying that a house built in 1999 was built with surface-mounted light switches, or has that been added subsequently?

Kind Regards, John

Usually the reason for that is because during construction the switch has probably been moved.

Typically because of kitchen plan changing etc, etc.

I imagine there won't be any slack to pull down.

Any easy way to improve this would be fit some conduit over it.

Some oval tube would do, covering the wires and just entering the box.

Or some 20mm round conduit with a bush end fitted to the box would also do.

I don't think it's worthwhile being too fussy with this, unless you have access above to get more slack on the cable, or to replace the cable.

Hi,

Its not surface mounted. I think its because they have used a 16mm metal back box for three lots of wires (2 with 4 cores) which barely only fit. I don't think its been moved.

Also I have noticed where a light has been fitted in the bathrooms they have just used chocblocks and electrical tape! They look like the original lights, I really don't think they have been fitted after

Sponsored Links
I should have taken a picture, but its above the patteress box itself underneath dot and dab plasterboard. Would you do anything about it, or leave it? Inner cores seem intact.

I should have taken a picture, but its above the patteress box itself underneath dot and dab plasterboard. Would you do anything about it, or leave it? Inner cores seem intact.
I'm getting a little confused. If this is under the plasterboard, is it actually visible - and, indeed, how have you seen it? A photo certainly would be, or would have been, helpful!

Kind Regards, John

Sounds like the 16mm flush box fitted which only has a small oval entry hole, therefore the cables could not physically enter the box, thus they stripped them and just poked the inner cores through the ovalhole. hopefully with a grommet
If the depth is there and slack on the wires you could fit a 25mm deep box, personally I wouldnt worry too much

I'm getting a little confused. If this is under the plasterboard, is it actually visible - and, indeed, how have you seen it? A photo certainly would be, or would have been, helpful!

Kind Regards, John

Sorry - I should have explained it better! I took some wallpaper off and round the lightswitch the plaster board was crumbling a bit and it fell off with the wall paper thats how i could see. I was going to just fill it in with some filler, just wanted to make sure that its safe without the grey bit.

Sorry - I should have explained it better! I took some wallpaper off and round the lightswitch the plaster board was crumbling a bit and it fell off with the wall paper thats how i could see. I was going to just fill it in with some filler, just wanted to make sure that its safe without the grey bit.
Ah, thanks - I understand now. AS Rocky said, the problem presumable arose because they used far too shallow a back box for so many cables/conductors.

The proper/official answer and pragmatic answer to your question may differ! If you decide upon the later, then some variation on the them of what sparkwright suggested may be possible as a 'compromise' - i.e. put something around the cores before applying your plaster/filler, so that at least the plaster/filler is not in contact with the cores. There's probably not enough space for conduit, but you could probably do it with bits of outer ('grey') sheathing removed from scrap bits of cable, split down their length, or something like that - but preferable not the infamous 'tape'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back