Mounting eletrical box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've added a spur to the bedroom so that we now have two double sockets.

i did the prep work before we had the room plasterboarded and skimmed, i thought all was well till i fitted the sockets (on my part i didnt do a good job and they were not level) but i did this as i was rushed as i did not have much time on it.

now that i've fitted the sockets and done the wiring, the plates are not level and the box sits too far back, i've tried longer screws but its not doing the job, also where they cut the board around the socket its a little too high and a gaping hole sits above it. something i've mighty fked off about.

would it be an idea to removed the metal back boxes and use plasterboard ones?

also how can i make good the hole above the socket, i was thinking about dot and dabbing a piece of board and then just skimming it as filler looks messy.

thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Personally I use drylining boxes on plasterboard.........even if its dot and dab. Just dig the brickwork a little deeper at proposed socket position. Really can't see how it is possible not to get 2 sockets level when you use plasterboard. Heavens sake you only need a spirit level and a drywall saw. The mistake can be repaired with time and patience. Your plasterer may have a solution so ask him. If not buy 2 drylining boxes, a bag of easy fill (stuff they use for taping and jointing)..., some wooden batten, some drywall screws, and save an offcut from the plasterboard. Use these materials and a little imagination and you will get a perfect finish. Easyfill sands down beautifully and feathers perfectly to the existing skim. Remember to prime the easyfill pior to emulsion as absorbtion rate will be different.

thanks for the reply, i think i'll take out the metal boxed and replace them with drywall ones as this seems an all round better soloution.

i have a few ends of drywall lying around so was thinking if i were to cut a square dot and dab the board so its level with the new box i could then just use some polyfilla finish plaster to make good?

thanks fr your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back