Mounting boxes in insulated wall

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have some sockets to mount on walls I have insulated with 50mm Celotex and plasterboard. I was going to reinstate the sockets by using plasterboard boxes and undercutting the insulation where the box "wings" will expand.

Is this the usual/best way forward?

Do you commonly try to chase out just to 35mm depth for the box and how do you do that? Or is it easier to cut through the board and then try to foam or glue some insulation back behind the box? I would rather not make too many holes through my new and expensive insulated wall!

PS no need to discuss derating of cables as they go through the insulation and run in an unheated loft.

Thanks

bsr

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In the real world, one would do as you originally suggested - dry-line box and carefully cut out the insulation.

Also, whatever you do make sure you maintain the integrity of the VCL, or it'll be mould central on the walls behind the Celotex.

Sponsored Links
b-a-s what would you do? A bead of silicone on the rim of the box as I push it in? The VCL is the foil surface of the insulation boards so I will have to go through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back