socket back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am plaster boarding a couple of upstairs bedrooms and im having a little bit of electrics done at the same time, mainly having an extra socket or 2 and spotlights.

The plaster boards are going to be dot and dabbed to the walls, but i am wondering about the socket back boxes. I would like to have the sockets facias surface mounted rather than have the back boxes surface mounted.

Would i be able to get away with dry lining boxes? maybe slim line ones or something? or isnt there enough room? maybe some metal clad back boxes would be ok?

If i could get away with metal clad back boxes would i need the electrician to fix them in place when he runs the new cables, and then cut holes for them in the plasterboard and slot the boards over the back boxes?

If none of this is possible could i chisel away the brick work so that metal clad boxes would fit?

Also with regards to the sockets positioning, 1 of the sockets will be awkward to position because of where the bed and furniture will be placed, so would it be recommended to fit the socket above the bed's head board, or above the skirting board behind the bed?

Sorry for so many questions, and all advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
You must put the sockets where you want them, making sure the all cables are in safe zones.

Sockets are normally placed by the side of the bed either below or just above where a bedside cabinet could go.

Plastic dry line boxes are not normally used on dot and dab walls as they need a little more space than a metal 25 mm box. The metal back boxes, not generally known as metalclad, can often be fixed directly to the surface of the brick, though you could cut them in a few mm to be on the safe side. Check with the plasterer.

There may be instances where you will have to cut the boxes in deeper, such as where the plasterboard might have to go back further if, for example, a door lining is quite shallow.

You would normally do your first fix electrics before plasterboarding.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

The electrician is going to first fix before the boards go on so all good there, i was just wondering if i could use metal boxes or not and its good news that i can.

As far as position of the sockets go unfortunately i cant have them to the side of the bed as there will be built in furniture going there, which is why i was either thinking behind the bed or above the headboard.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back