HDMI Cabling and power sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guyz, anyone had to wiring in a HDMI lead into a wall?

I plan on doing this for my wall mounted Plasma, but i just wanted to check a few things, where is the best place to buy a HDMI Wall sockets, cheapest i have found so far is £38 and i need 2 of these :(

Also there will be a power socket close buy, is it the standard 50mm seperation between the power and the HDMI lead, like with Coax runs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
spending all that money on HD stuff, you dont want it ruined by having 50Hz and mains harmonics superimposed on the signal, so i'd keep the mains and signal as far away as possible.

One thing i have heard of is taking power from the ring main on the floor above (dont try this in a flat though ;) )

That's what i was worried about!

It's a brand new house, i don't have any HD equipment yet, but the house is at the stage where i can have everything fitted! So i am thinking ahead!

These flat panels are causing me head aches, as if i am going to get one, i wanted wall mounted, other wise i may aswell just a get a good CRT, as it will take up the same space more or less when fitted in the corner of a room.

I just checked out prices on 3m+ runs of HDMI cable :eek:

Well expensive! How can they justify this, it was up to £240 for a 4m run!!

deefadog said:
3m+ runs of HDMI cable :eek:

Who told you it was going to be a cheap affair? ;) all the more reason to route the mains away!

Sponsored Links
True, not going to be chesp :)

As the sockets have to be relitively close together (to hide them from view behind the TV, what would be the minimum distance i could get away with?

Should i route the HDMI Horizonatally and the mains vertically?

It depends on the layout of your system. I presume the AV kit will be in a cabinet below the TV, and the TV is wall mounted?

I would fit a mains socket behind the TV, as high as i could get it without being visible, and route the cable straight up into the ceiling, where it would go to the upstairs ring main.

Then fit the HDMI socket as low as poss, and route the cable wherever.

Thanks!

The TV is actually going above the fire place (Chav i know) :)

No idea where and how the DVD, SKY boxes will go?

I may just ask them to put in a channel and leave blanks in place so i can feed my own AV cables in at a later date. Cheaper aswell :)

i've seen a few arrangements with the tv on the chimney, I quite like the idea of turning the fireplace cavity into the AV centre, with a recess for each unit, might be something i'll try one day.

sorry to hijack your thread but it may help us both ;)

how big is a HDMI plug and would it fit through 21mm overflow pipe used as conduit, if i was to install it behind the dry lining before its plastered?

:)

I'm not sure exactly how big they are but I think that would be a bit small.

the qed ones i have are about 20mm wide,bit bigger than a usb connecor on your computer,personally id try not to use wall sockets etc as every connection point is liable to degrade the signal quality

IMO what you want is some kind of wide but flat duct. Not sure what would be best to use though.

Don't know where you've been shopping for your cables at that price! Sounds like the sort of thing an A/V nut would but. Can't personally see the point, I've never believed people that say they can 'tell' the difference between a £20 and a £200 cable. The signal is digital, it will either work or it wont!

I bet the guys who make shielded mains cables and expensive digital coax flyleads are laughing all the way to the bank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back