5/6 lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys can anyone give me a link to find out what the definition is off this?

And how protection is related to this, is circuit breakers got anything to do with this?

Much appreciated

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes:
still don't know what you mean.
Is that meant to be current ratings?
in what context have you seen this?

Sponsored Links
Hi BAS,
oh dear, hadn't read the other quote bit. :eek:
In light of that, my answer to the OP is:-

Its all magic, those pointy things electricians have are not screwdrivers, the're wands. BS7671 is actually a spell book. If you are but a mortal, you will not be able to comprehend our incantations.

Call a Self-certifying Wizard to rid you of your 'what 5/6 curse' :evil:

Dont worry guys am not doing any practical work of the posts that i've put on. Im doing an assessment and am struggling to get my head round 5/6 amp lighting circuit and how it works

Is a 5/6 lighting circuit not quite as good as a 6/6 one? :D
yea, its only about 83% as good :)

OP, do you want to have a think about re-phrasing the question a bit?

At the moment, it reads about the same as 'how does stuff work'

I'm not quite sure what you are really asking, but are you questioning why there are 5-amp lighting circuits and 6-amp lighting circuits?

If so, then the answer is that it's just down to European "harmonization." Traditionally, we always used 5A lighting circuits, whether fed from rewireable fuses, cartridge fuses, or circuit breakers. BS1361 cartridge fuses for lighting circuits are still 5A, but a few years ago the industry changed the standard range of MCB's to match up with European standards, with 6A taking over from the older 5A.

You'll see a similar change where 15A became 16A and 30A became 32A.

5/6 amp lighting circuit and how it works
AHHHH NOW I understand!

But which bits dont you understand?

In a traditional circuit, you have ceiling roses with 4 terminals. The supply loops in and out of these, Live Neutral and Earth, up to the last fitting, where they end.

So this leaves two cables leaving each rose. There is a third cable leaving the rose to the switch. This carries the Live from the rose to the switch. It also carries the Switched Live back up to the forth terminal of the rose. The lamp itself is powered from this switched live terminal.

Sometimes where a fitting has been changed (because ceiling roses are so 90's) and does not have space for all the cables, the above rose connections can be replicated in a 4 terminal junction box above the fitting (but it must be accessible).

Comprende?

Sometimes in modern houses the supply cables are looped in at the switches, with just the switched live and neutral being taken to the light itself. This is because ceiling roses are going out of fashion and people are fitting more of these halogen monstrosities on their ceilings. But this method uses more cable.

Ups guilty as charged. I often refer to a 5/6A lighting circuit as fuse was 5A and MCB 6A. Same with 15/16 and 30/32.
However I would have thought in context one should have been able to work it out?
Same with red/brown, black/blue for wire colours.

So now we need to wait for "roofer glasgow" to see if that fits.

Most lighting circuits include items like ceiling roses which are rated either 5 or 6 amp according to age of fitting and as a result although the BS7671 says you can have 16A on a lighting circuit this is not the case where ceiling roses are used as junction boxes.

Light bulbs are suppose to contain internal fuses to limit their power to 2A and most BA22d lamp holders are only rated at 2A but from bitter experience some CFU are not so fused and although a unit blowing on a 6A circuit will normally open the breaker rather than do any other damage with 16A often it will weld contacts to the BA22d base meaning the holder also needs changing.

As a result whatever the BS7671 says I would keep lighting circuits to 6A limit!

As to 5 or 6 amp I would not worry fitting a 5A ceiling rose to a 6A MCB I personally consider them as the same. But of course one could get pedantic?
is general method.

I often refer to a 5/6A lighting circuit as fuse was 5A and MCB 6A. Same with 15/16 and 30/32.

Older circuit breakers were 5/15/30A the same as fuses though. Think of Crabtree C50 MCB's, or the Wylex Standard Range plug-in replacements before they changed to 6/16/32A.

Ups guilty as charged. I often refer to a 5/6A lighting circuit as fuse was 5A and MCB 6A. Same with 15/16 and 30/32.
However I would have thought in context one should have been able to work it out?
Same with red/brown, black/blue for wire colours.

So now we need to wait for "roofer glasgow" to see if that fits.

Most lighting circuits include items like ceiling roses which are rated either 5 or 6 amp according to age of fitting and as a result although the BS7671 says you can have 16A on a lighting circuit this is not the case where ceiling roses are used as junction boxes.

Light bulbs are suppose to contain internal fuses to limit their power to 2A and most BA22d lamp holders are only rated at 2A but from bitter experience some CFU are not so fused and although a unit blowing on a 6A circuit will normally open the breaker rather than do any other damage with 16A often it will weld contacts to the BA22d base meaning the holder also needs changing.

As a result whatever the BS7671 says I would keep lighting circuits to 6A limit!

As to 5 or 6 amp I would not worry fitting a 5A ceiling rose to a 6A MCB I personally consider them as the same. But of course one could get pedantic?
is general method.

Thats what im looking for thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back