50 SqM for combined extensions or loft only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Could someone please assist, I'm currently having a loft conversion completed under permitted development, and I'm having a single rear extension completed (Planning permission already passed)

It's a semi detached property

Permitted development allows up to 50 SqM for adding to your loft, but will the rear extension be included within the 50SqM (As this would take me over?)

My neighbour has recently had the same completed and the local authority is saying it's combined and that they'll need to chop some off, the architect doesn't THINK it should be combined?

Any assistance greatly appreciated

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Volumes are only combined if the new extension/loft conversion is joined to a previous extension/conversion. Your "Architect" should know this, not think it.

It's a volume limit for lofts - 50m³; there is no volume limit for extensions.
Does the dormer actually touch the extension?

Sponsored Links
The dormer doesn't touch the extension. The latest I've heard is that the local authority (Trafford) are saying that any new roof space is included in the 50m3, so the roof space in the ground floor extension is included with the addition in the loft? The additional roof space is apparently being calculated for the area where it is pitched??

The dormer doesn't touch the extension. The latest I've heard is that the local authority (Trafford) are saying that any new roof space is included in the 50m3, so the roof space in the ground floor extension is included with the addition in the loft? The additional roof space is apparently being calculated for the area where it is pitched??
It seems peverse because the legislation just mentions 'roof' (singular), but the LPA is correct; there are a number of appeal cases which support their view.

I think the general view which has been taken is that- if the roof of the extension provides additional living space in the roof, then the volume would be included. If it is just a roof which adjoins the main roof, and does not form habitable space within the roof, then the volume is not taken into account.

Not sure if the technical guidance-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nt-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance

says that explicitly, but it is implied:

In order to be permitted development, a proposal must meet all the limitations and conditions under each Class relevant to the proposal. It is therefore essential that any proposed household development is considered in the context of the permitted development rules as a whole in order to determine whether it benefits from permitted development rights and therefore does not require an application for planning permission.

For example, where a proposed two storey extension at the rear of a house has a roof that joins onto the main roof of the original house, the works will need to meet the requirements of both Class A (which covers the enlargement of the house) and Class C (which covers any alterations to the roof) in order to be permitted development. If the works also include the creation of a dormer window to enlarge the roof space, either in the extension or the original roof space, then they would also need to meet the requirements of Class B.

@ Napoleon:
Agree with your point, but the issue is whether a later extension roof which is separate from the main roof of the house counts towards the volume allowance.
I always thought it didn't, and have never been questioned on that by an LPA.
But I looked up on the Planning Jungle web site and there appear to be 4 appeal cases in which inspectors said that such a roof does count towards the limit even if it doesn't touch the main roof.

Ah right- if it's separate from the main roof that seems a bit harsh, I guess its still dependant on whether it forms habitable accommodation? If its just a roof space I think there is a solid case that the volume shouldn't be counted.

Might be one of those cases where its simpler to apply for planning permission if it's likely to be granted. If not it could mean to push it they need to submit a LDC and appeal if refused, but given current timescales with PINs you would probably be looking at at least 12 months from the submission of the application to get a decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back