500 gallon tank

BR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody know off hand the approximate dimentions of a 500 gallon oil tank (plastic, either rectangular or circular.)

Sponsored Links
single skin tank is L2250 W1265 H1320 (with room for 50 more gallons, as these are the dimensions in mm for a 550 gallon tank, which i thought was close enough)

That's about 6ft x 4ft x 4ft in real measurements for cuboid tanks. For plastic ones there's so many shapes you need to look up Titan, Balmoral, Harlequin etc (or just plastic oil tanks. Then there's bunded types as well.

Thanks for the replies, I am looking into the possibility of installing an unvented hot water cylinder in a new house, (about 2900sqft) with 4 showers. Has anybody any experience of these, what size would I need etc.

Just to clarify, this is my own house and due to my very limited knowledge of anything to do with plumbing, I would of course be hiring a plumber.

Sponsored Links
That depends on the consumption rate of the showers, and how many you want to run at the same time and how many successive showers you want. The floor area is irrelevant. Some showers will use more than a bath in less than 10 minutes. If you are running a guest house for divers, a 1000 litre cylinder might not be too big. If you just like a party now and again with people sleeping over, 200 litres might be enough.

Sorry to point this out, there are some strict legal requirements for unvented cylinders, do you know what they are?

As I'm living in Ireland these regs may be different. I was consideration installing this cylinder in my 3m X 2m boiler house in the garage (separate 'room' in garage).How does this sound? I believe that in Britain your BCO has to be informed and many other regs have to be adhered to. In Ireland, to be honest i'm not sure what the situation is. I know a friend of mine who is an electrician, bought one and put it in himself (not advisable, I know) Are the regs in relation to this as strict as I read in some books? What I trying to say is how many people would actually inform their BCO?

Thanks very much for your time.

The reason for the rules about these things is they are dramatic if they go wrong. If you put it where you suggest it won't matter much, because if the garage is near the house, it can still demolish the garage and have quite a good go at the house as well. The problems start if the requirements for the installation are not used, and bits are connected in the wrong place or left out. You will have to find out what your BC rules are. If something goes wrong, you may find your insurance company decides to keep the money if you haven't complied with the rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back