500r+ Hacked ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently a neighbours house was broken into. I then realized that a couple of elderly neighbours had also recently complained about issues with their home alarm systems. My own alarm system also seems to have suddenly stopped working properly for some reason. It has managed to reset its self back to the manufacturers default code?

I have put in a new user code which it seems to have accepted but it no longer appears to work. I set it and it sounds like it has armed but when we return and I just enter the house it never goes off anymore even though it used to. I replaced all the PIR batteries and have tried to use the manual to do "walk tests" and such but when I start any of the programming features nothing happens. For example if I enter

user code + 1

All the zone lights illuminate red and the RF and Battery illuminate orange ..... they then quickly switch off.

Firstly have we been hacked and is there a way to check if it has ?
Secondly is there an easy way to get this cleared and reinstated ?

I don't want to set it off and have to take an axe to it to shut it up.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hacked ..... No ..... Panel gone back to default..... Probably..... When did you replaced the main battery inside the control panel last ?

Hacked ..... No ..... Panel gone back to default..... Probably..... When did you replaced the main battery inside the control panel last ?

I personally have not changed it .... its wired to the mains though I think ?

How old is the alarm system ?. Like many other alarm systems the 500r used 418 MHz for its communications. In 2007 the 418 MHz was assigned to TETRA radio comms for police fire ambulance and other similar services. Sales of licencec exempt 418 MHz equipment were banned. The equipment already installed could still be used provided it did not interfere with TETRA. Most important for owners of alarms
Short range devices will not be given protection from interference from the TETRA network operating in channels adjacent to the 418 MHz band.

The errratic behaviour of your alarm may be due to intereference from TETRA transmissions. Nothing you can do about that. If the elderly neighbours have alarms operating on 418 MHz then their concerns may also stem from interference from TETRA

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/press/1999/21dec99a.htm said:
Press Release 21st December 1999

The Radiocommunications Agency has announced a forthcoming change in the use of the 417.9 to 418.1MHz band, known as the 418 MHz band, which is currently allocated for use by Short Range Devices (SRDs). From 31st December 2007, this band will be reassigned for use by terrestrial trunked radio (TETRA). Short-range devices are currently allowed to operate on the 418 MHz band on a licence-exempt basis and without protection from interference from licensed radio services.

SRD equipment certified under the Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (R&TTE) Directive before 31 December 2002 may continue to be sold and used in the UK until 31 December 2007. After this date, SRD equipment using the 418 MHz band may no longer be sold for use in the UK, but equipment already in use may continue to operate within the band, provided that it does not cause interference to the TETRA network.

Between 1st January 2003 and 31st December 2007, depending on demand, further allocations may be made for TETRA in the paired bands 415 to 420 MHz / 425 to 430 MHz, avoiding 418 MHz. Short range devices will not be given protection from interference from the TETRA network operating in channels adjacent to the 418 MHz band.

The Agency recognises the very real concerns of the low power radio community in response to this change. Details of alternative European harmonised frequencies for SRDs are available in the Agency’s Short Range Device information sheet RA 114, available on the RA website at: www.radio.gov.uk/publication/ra_info/ra114/ra114.htm or from the RA library, Tel. 0207 211 0502/0505.

For further information please contact the Radiocommunications Agency, Technology Sectors Unit - Low Power Section. Tel: 020-7211-0152.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-24_7-32-36.png
    upload_2015-11-24_7-32-36.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Bernard .... No no no ..... It's not had its back up battery replaced its probably defaulted when there's been some mains issues ......seen it time and time again on Scantronic panels hard wired and winless ...

It's not had its back up battery replaced its probably defaulted when there's been some mains issues .
I don't doubt that is the most likely reason for the OP's problems but old 500r ( and other Short Range Licence Exempt equipment ) using 418 MHz are prone to strong and prolonged blocking from TETRA communications. Something that people with such equipment should be aware of but I doubt the manufacturers have notified people who were affected by the change of use of 418 MHz

Thanks all for the prompt responses.

Should note that we have not encountered any issues until very recently. So you reckon its just wild coincidence that we all have alarm issues (not the same; theirs repeatedly went off whereas mine didn't work at all ) at the same time and a break-in?

Can someone link me to a suitable battery and I will change that out to see if it sorts it. I assume it would need re-programmed too ?

Last edited:
If the unit has defaulted, use the default Engineers' code!! 0 <ent> 7890 and open the case. No need to disconnect the mains to change the battery - just don't stick anything in the mains connector o_O (CAUTION 240V ac). Then reprogram it.

Make sure that you use the correct programming manual - early versions are different from the newer ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back