50x100 studding, isnt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just fitting out an extension I had built, and will be putting in some partition walls. The building spec stated 50x100 studwork, so I ordered 50x100 CLS.

Just realised they delivered timber that is actually 90x35mm; when I queried it with the suppliers they said thats normal, and that the 50x100 reffers to its pre planed size, and that what they supplied is normal for studwork. My invoice states 50x100 CLS

Is this right, shall I get on and happily build the studwork with it, or is it going to create a problem squashing 100mm mal wall in there, or is the building inspector likley to question it etc? Is there actually 50x100 timber that I should be using, maybe rough instead of CLS?

Thanks!

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Your suppler is correct unless you state other wise the size will take as Ex 50 x 100. Ex meaning before machining. If you are using fibber glass insulation then everything will be a-ok. What you need to do is check the size of the door linings, they should be around 120mm to suite your size of stud. i.e. 15 + 90 +15 (12.5mm plasterboard plus 2.5 skim coat =15mm)

You may find this guide of some help

bradley - welcome to the world of ordering materials, where nothing is as it seems (unless you know). Your studding, 150mm floorboards that aren't, the metric/imperial conundrum, etc., etc. The general rule is if you want something an exact size you have to go to the next size up and cut it smaller - most timber yards will do this if you ask for whatever as a "finished size". Proceed as per aw's advice.

thanks for that, you guys are a goldmine of useful info!

I enjoy doing all this and learning along the way, so thanks for taking time to help educate us all :)

Ants

Sponsored Links
I'm in the middle of a DIY loft conversion and have been building various stud walls around the place. The first lot of 3" x 2" (50mm x 75mm) i used actually measured 45mm x 65mm - which i expected. However, i've recently ordered the same stuff from the same supplier and this has come at 45mm x 72mm - bit of a pain when trying to mix the two!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back