51 Plate Golf GTI Turbo mk 4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a massive downside if i bolt on some 18" wheels as opposed to the existing 16" wheels.
Any advise would be great.Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't have too much trouble, certainly been done before!
Just check the ET and PCD of the wheels or you may find the don't clear the calipers.
Clubgti.com is the place to ask

Thanks i will contact the vw club ...most helpfull.

Sponsored Links
You will get a harsher ride, and the tyres may be more prone to sidewall damage.

If you do this, you should notify your insurance company of the modification.

Interesting,insurance and harsher i get but why "side wall damage".
The reason i am asking the "wheel change" question is i was advised against it due to wear on bearings,shocks steering etc,but i see so many of these cars with this mod and they do look nice,anymore advise ?
Thankyou.

Sorry, I should have said wheel rim damage: the low profile tyres fitted to the larger diameter wheels make the rims more vulnerable to kerbing. This is normally only a problem if you are a bit of a careless parker.

Another downside is the tendency to 'tramline', that is for the steered wheels to follow any change in the road surface, including painted white lines. This can be disconcerting. The effect, I think, varies with particular tyres.

Also, the cost of tyres may be quite a bit higher. Not being very encouraging, am I?

Yes i can deal with all that as i am a driver.I am more concerned with the mechanical implications.

Thanks

to get the definate answer to your question,join a vw golf gti forum,no doubt they wouldve come acrooss this situation more then once before especially when it comes to modding.

Sponsored Links
Back