Mk IV Golf windows, locking & mirrors not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've just been approached by a friend whose Mk IV (at least I think it's a Mk IV! It's a '51 plate) Golf is poorly. The driver's window regulator failed and her husband bought a replacement one. Having fitted it, the window can be made to go up and down by applying power to the regulator motor directly. However, now nothing else on the door panel works apart from the little marker light in the bottom corner and the loudspeaker.

The central locking won't work, neither will the electric mirrors. None of the windows, (including the driver's one) will work from the switch panel in the driver's arm rest. I had aquick look. All the wires appear to be connected correctly, and (I'm told) all the fuses are intact.

Any thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
I'll just state the bloomin' obvious here.....there are a good few multiblock connectors on these, and I guess one of them hasn't been engaged properly - especially the one at the top of the door where the mirrors are.....a bit of a wild coincidence for most of the door items to give up at the same time!
John :)

Thanks John. I could only find four connectors. One for the whole bank of armrest switches, one for the courtesy light, one for the mirrors and one for the speaker. All seemed to be find and none of the pins were bent. There's a sort of inner "inner skin" between the trim panel and the outer door skin, which seems to hold the regulator. I didn't take that out (no tools) but I don't know whether there's something behind that or not?

I was wondering if one needed to "re-set" some ECU somewhere if the central locking had been disturbed?

if its not the fuses???????
then i would say you have a few breaks in the wires in the door gaitor?

Sponsored Links
as said the wiring in the door pillar grommet is a good place to start.
I think there is also a control module in each door for the window and locking functions, this is worth inspecting too.

Hi All, I've just been approached by a friend whose Mk IV (at least I think it's a Mk IV! It's a '51 plate) Golf is poorly. The driver's window regulator failed and her husband bought a replacement one. Having fitted it, the window can be made to go up and down by applying power to the regulator motor directly. However, now nothing else on the door panel works apart from the little marker light in the bottom corner and the loudspeaker.

The central locking won't work, neither will the electric mirrors. None of the windows, (including the driver's one) will work from the switch panel in the driver's arm rest. I had aquick look. All the wires appear to be connected correctly, and (I'm told) all the fuses are intact.

Any thoughts please?
hi just joined forum.
own windscreen company do plenty of these golf regulators common problem breaking down. check arm rest block terminal you say all pins there not bent o.k. but, commonly pulling out block will break away pins, try new arm rest switch from v.w. dealer not dear approx £15+vat.

Back