Electric windows won’t open Golf Mk 7

Many thanks. I said driver window never works when I should have said hardly ever works. I think the last time it worked was last weekend The other really frustrating thing is this. When one of the windows eventually opens from master switch, it will stop opening. When you apply further pressure to open, it goes back up.

I guess I’ll have to bite bullet and go to my usual VW garage and let them fleece me to death.

Sponsored Links
Is there an anti-finger trap sensor on the drivers window, might that be causing an issue?

Might there be dirt contamination under the master set of buttons, they are often like TV remote control buttons - contacts on a PCB, with a button pad which shorts the contacts = sending the signal to the Body Control Unit, which in turn powers the windows. Tease the entire switch panel out, take the button panel of the PCB and clean both back of buttons and PCB contact with IPA. Not India Pale Ale!

Is there an anti-finger trap sensor on the drivers window, might that be causing an issue?

Might there be dirt contamination under the master set of buttons, they are often like TV remote control buttons - contacts on a PCB, with a button pad which shorts the contacts = sending the signal to the Body Control Unit, which in turn powers the windows. Tease the entire switch panel out, take the button panel of the PCB and clean both back of buttons and PCB contact with IPA. Not India Pale Ale!
Many thanks. Had the car for 7 years. Never been aware of an anti finger trap sensor? Don’t know what that is or looks like. Would love to tease the switch panel out but thought you had to take out zillions of screws to remove panel for that.

Many thanks. I said driver window never works when I should have said hardly ever works. I think the last time it worked was last weekend The other really frustrating thing is this. When one of the windows eventually opens from master switch, it will stop opening. When you apply further pressure to open, it goes back up.

I guess I’ll have to bite bullet and go to my usual VW garage and let them fleece me to death.
if the window works at times then it is unlikely to be the mechanism at faulr.

Sponsored Links
if the window works at times then it is unlikely to be the mechanism at faulr.
So your money is on switches? Did you see my earlier queries re “teasing out” switch unit? Also, happy to check wires in shroud. Was asking how I expose, from which end etc?

Many thanks

My money is on the electrical side. Switch is a definite possibility. But no way am I going to state the actual issue without looking.
Not sure on a golf offhand but switches can generally be teased out without removing too much. But again, without looking I am not promising that.

Just discovered convenience opening and closing was off. Reset and the extended press on remote opened them. However, what I don’t get is why that setting didn’t prevent normal manual operation of the windows previously?

Thanks v much.

Many thanks. Had the car for 7 years. Never been aware of an anti finger trap sensor? Don’t know what that is or looks like. Would love to tease the switch panel out but thought you had to take out zillions of screws to remove panel for that.

Most just clip into place. If you have the anti-trap - you will have one touch close on those windows - tap close and the window closes all the way. If not, the window will only run to close, whilst the button is pressed. If the anti-trap fails/gets out of adjustment, it can cause windows to misbehave.

Most just clip into place. If you have the anti-trap - you will have one touch close on those windows - tap close and the window closes all the way. If not, the window will only run to close, whilst the button is pressed. If the anti-trap fails/gets out of adjustment, it can cause windows to misbehave.
Thanks. I think the one touch operation may have been deactivated. Not really bothered about that. When you say “most just clip into place”… Do you mean the master switch unit should just be able to be gently levered out from above? Do I need special tool for that? Also have to be careful not to break connector?

(All the tutorials I’ve seen involve removing panel)

Thanks

Thanks. I think the one touch operation may have been deactivated. Not really bothered about that. When you say “most just clip into place”… Do you mean the master switch unit should just be able to be gently levered out from above? Do I need special tool for that? Also have to be careful not to break connector?

(All the tutorials I’ve seen involve removing panel)

Thanks

As I said, I don't know the car, so all I can do is guess at how it is put together without any sight of it. If you have found tutorials for the model, best follow their advice.

I know you don't want to start firing the parts cannon at it, but from what you've said, I would go down your nearest breaker and grab a driver's door switch module.

I know you don't want to start firing the parts cannon at it, but from what you've said, I would go down your nearest breaker and grab a driver's door switch module.
More than happy to do that. I’m just not keen on having to remove all the screws and connectors prior to taking the door panel off. If that is necessary to replace master switch module?)
Thanks

If you have the anti-trap - you will have one touch close on those windows
I had that on a Cavalier SRI once and as I was driving along I showed my mate how it worked. Unfortunately it didn’t and I damn near snapped my fingers! I’d recently disconnected the battery and hadn’t done the resetting procedure!

Sponsored Links
Back