Electric windows won’t open Golf Mk 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have 2013 Golf. About a year ago, started having probs with driver window not opening. Unfortunately, the problem has now spread to all 4, and none are opening when you hit the control switch. You can hear a sort of “fut fut” sound but window doesn’t respond.

When/if a window does open, it behaves v erratically. Ie it will go down a few inches and stop. When you then press to continue lowering, it closes again.

I know I’ll have to take to garage but would appreciate any wisdom on what it sounds like. (Mechanical, electrical?)

I’ve had no end of probs with this car. I’ve paid for so many jobs, over and above the norm. I’ve never had so many probs with other vws, nor has we indoors who’s always driven them. I’d love to enjoy driving it into the ground, but not sure I’ll reach that stage.

Rant over.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sounds more mechanical but im mot ruling out electrical. 1st fault sounded like a switch issue but the current put put fault sounds like power isgetting where it should.
Have repkaced a few window regulators on various vw's. Dont remember replacingmany switches on them

Thanks. Knowing my luck it will need replacement regulators on each door and complete rewiring, entailing massive labour charges

Before you dive in, peel back the rubber shrouds that enclose the wiring between door and body shell.......feel for any lumps through the plastic wire sheath which could indicate breakage.
John :)

Sponsored Links
You can't beat a Megane with a big bum with the drivers window randomly going all the way down on it's own every year or so in the pouring rain on the A38, never to go back up again until the regulator is replaced! I really miss that car - not!

Before you dive in, peel back the rubber shrouds that enclose the wiring between door and body shell.......feel for any lumps through the plastic wire sheath which could indicate breakage.
Thanks. Guess I’ll have to check all four doors. Other thing someone suggested was using the dry lubricant down the glass runners.

Thanks. Guess l’ll have to do that for all four doors. Only other thing suggested was using dry lubricant down the glass runners.

Just checked, and it’s just the driver controls that don’t function, meaning I can’t open the driver’s window. Does that make it easier to diagnose and fix? Thank you.

Just checked, and it’s just the driver controls that don’t function, meaning I can’t open the driver’s window. Does that make it easier to diagnose and fix? Thank you.
Quite possibly switch assembly then if all the windows work.

But the most likely mechanism to fail is the drivers !

Quite possibly switch assembly then if all the windows work.

But the most likely mechanism to fail is the drivers !
Thanks. I’ve looked at videos, and getting the panel off seems doable but a bit of a faf. The switches are quite cheap though, Is it a job you would expect most folk to be able to do?

Sounds like a car body to door wiring loom problem to me. Do as John/Burnerman suggests above.

Thank. Will look at that. Is it relatively easy to remove shroud. Also, do I look for obvious sign of broken wire?

You've got to get into the door and then go looking for the issue.

Does the drivers master switches not work on any window or just not the driver window

Hi

Back windows sometimes open with driver’s switch. Passenger windows sometimes opens. Driver-window never opens. You hear the put put sound on all windows, even when they don’t open.

Thanks

2 possible issues.
Driver window never opens. My money goes on the regulator but its just a guess.
The other windows work erratically from the main switch but work from their own switches sounds like a switch/supply/wiring issue.
But nobody will know the definitive answer on here. Needs investigating at the drivers door

Sponsored Links
Back