6-core ≥230V-'rated' flex?

Sponsored Links
Do you know why 6 core cable has never been available?
Well, as we've discovered, it is 'slightly available', but only just (in comparison with 5-core and 7-core).

I personally haven't got a clue as to the reason. One imagines that there is a lack of demand, but why demand should be dramatically less for 6-core than for, say, 7-core. Maybe there are common applications which require 5-core and 7-core, but not 6-core?

I've also tried to think of 'manufacturing' reasons, but I don't really see why it is any more difficult arranging 5 cores around a 'central' one than it is arranging 4 or 6.

Anyone got any ideas?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
3P N E ... 3P N E and 2 control wires
Well, yes, I should have conceded that there would be a fair demand for 5-core - but is "3P NE and 2 control wires" necessarily more common than "3P N E and 1 control wire".

I actually suspect that once one gets beyond 5 cores the most common applications (like mine) are those in which multiple separately fed loads are being supplied by one cable (e.g. N E and a number of switched Ls).

Kind Regards, John

7 cores are required for star delta started motors. I imagine that’s why 7 core became a conventional thing back in the day.

I've also tried to think of 'manufacturing' reasons, but I don't really see why it is any more difficult arranging 5 cores around a 'central' one than it is arranging 4 or 6.
I doubt if it's a reason, but 6 cores around one central one is a natural layup without any fillers/spacers needed. 5 cores around a central spacer/filler is a necessity since 5 core is a commonly required cable.
It's possible that some manufacturers decided that by the time you add the fillers needed, 6 cores won't be all that much cheaper than 7 cores - and anything you can do with 6 cores can be done with a 7 core cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back