6-core ≥230V-'rated' flex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really being unnecessarily harsh on myself, but I wonder whether anyone know of a source of short bits of 6-core flex (essentially any CSA) 'rated' for use with 230V?

I have plenty of 5-core (black/brown/white/blue/G-Y) and that would 'electrically' be enough for my need - I need 1 metre or so to connect to a 'relay box', requiring 4 Ls and a neutral (and the enclosures at both ends get CPCs from other sources, so no CPC theoretically required in the cable).

However, the fifth core in the cable I have is the G/Y. I'll probably just over-sleeve it (pretty safe in the knowledge that no-one other than me is going to see it, and be able to complain :) ) (which is actually BS7671-compliant), but if there were ≥6-core readily available, I might decide to 'be decent' and not over-sleeve a G/Y'.

However, the only ≥6-core flexible cables I can find are 'rated' only for 'ELV' (even though I'm sure that they would be happy with 230V!). Anyone know of any?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Goodness knows how my searching failed to find that!

However, I've got some 7-core cable like that - which, as with the stuff you linked to, is said to be for "Tow Bar Wiring etc.". However, although the TLC listing doesn't mention a voltage rating, the 7-core I have is described as "48V" - so I wonder what the TLC stuff is?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It also says for Control, Valves and pumps etc.

It just says 6A.

I have used it for central heating.

It's used on boiler controls, to connect to (e.g.) cylinder thermostat, 3-port valve and pump, which are often clustered together in the airing cupboard. IIRC places like B&Q sell it in 5-metre packs.

Ah. I was seemingly being a bit silly in only looking for 6-core. When I search for 7-core (Google, eBay or wherever) I get thousands of hits. Whilst many/most are described as 12V, 24V or 48V, there are a good few that are mains-rated.

Whether it's worth the effort (and cost) to avoid over-sleeving a G/Y that may well never be seen by anyone but me is perhaps a different matter!

Kind Regards, John

It's used on boiler controls, to connect to (e.g.) cylinder thermostat, 3-poert valve and pump, which are often clustered together in the airing cupboard. IIRC places like B&Q sell it in 5-metre packs.
Thanks. I can find 5-core, in various lengths, on the B&Q website, but not 6- or 7-core.

Kind Regards, John

I’ll have a look in the shed I’ve probably got some bits of 7 core SY or YY. I’ve definitely got 18G1.5 YY if that’s any use for you?

I’ll have a look in the shed I’ve probably got some bits of 7 core SY or YY. I’ve definitely got 18G1.5 YY if that’s any use for you?
That's very kind of you, and I may even eventually take up your offer - but, now that I have 'seen the light' (i.e. am now searching for 7-core, rather than 6-core), it looks as if I am going to be 'spoilt for choice'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back