6 metre Lintle / RSJ advice please?

a structuall tee....

so please enlighten us all as to what
size section that tee would come from...
OK, I'll enlighten you Grrraint...a 203x102 structural tee comes from any 203x203 UC section.
Basically a 203x203 section chopped straight down the middle of the web.

I don't think a 203x100 structural tee exists...in fact, looking through British, American, European, Indian, and Chinese section tables, I can't find a 203x100 section anywhere...

i am not enlightened...

you do not read my posts....

how can you have a structurral tee203x100kg... the one you mentioned is 23 kg

and as to the stationary one....

maybe thats why he is....

Sponsored Links
Who at any point said 100kg?

Although, you can get a 203x203x100kg Advance UC... aha, that's what you meant!! Got to be clearer Grrraint :p

You are also right in that getting one of those supplied might be difficult. And you would only save about 25mm over a 254x254x73 section, and it's heavier and more expensive.
We never specify the new "Advance" sizes, I'm sure they've got their uses, but probably not on a small domestic job.

Who at any point said 100kg?

Although, you can get a 203x203x100kg Advance UC... aha, that's what you meant!! Got to be clearer Grrraint :p

You are also right in that getting one of those supplied might be difficult. And you would only save about 25mm over a 254x254x73 section, and it's heavier and more expensive.
We never specify the new "Advance" sizes, I'm sure they've got their uses, but probably not on a small domestic job.

i said 100kg..... at a point.....

and i know it is heavier..................

but the 25mm saving could make a reasonable job into a perfect job...

but you would not even think or know about that.....

Sponsored Links
On a drawing, an SE would either write "203x203x100 UC", or "203x203 UC 100", or "203x102 UB", and never "203x100 UC". That's what confused us all.
If you'd have just said one of the first two in the beginning we all could have saved a lot of time :p

One of our local steel merchants stocks beams in some wacky [european ?] sizes which are close to BS4 but not quite the same, and you have to be very careful to check what beam he sends out.

He's cheap though :rolleyes:

Eeeeeeeee's good price mr woodster sir, no problem I look after you. Eeeee's special price for you only mr woodster you no tell everyone want theese price. :LOL:

Hi everyone,
well it's been a while but we are now on with the extension.

We changed our minds & decided a different layout for the extension so the 6 meter beam wasn't necessary but thanks for the advice given by everyone.

We do still need to place a new lintel where I have marked in Green on the picture.

The opening for this lintel will be approx 2300mm so we plan to use a 2700mm lintel.
It has been suggested that a Catnic CN5XA box lintel be used for the inner leaf and a Catnic ANG on the outer leaf.
Using this configuration of lintels there will be a projection into the room of 143mm (the depth of the CN5XA)

Are these lintels up to the job?
(Remember the roof structure has a trussed purlin so only half of the rear elevation roof load is bearing on the inner leaf)

Just wondering if it would be possible to use a different type of lintel that could be placed higher up in the wall so that the floor joists could run into the back void of the lintel, then there would no projection of the lintel into the room....is this possible?

Thanks.

lintle2.jpg

CN5XA specifications

CN5XA-1.jpg

ANG specifications

ANG.jpg

I would just use a couple of steel UBs. Much cheaper and will be much smaller section so you could size them to fit. Looking at your photo two 178x102s will probably be plenty.

I would just use a couple of steel UBs. Much cheaper and will be much smaller section so you could size them to fit. Looking at your photo two 178x102s will probably be plenty.
Thanks for your reply.

If I use universal beams I will need to provide the building inspector with calculations from a structural engineer, I'm trying to avoid this for the reason of cost & time.

Would the 178 x 102 beam you mention not project into the room more than the box section Catnic as that is only 143mm?

Is there not a way to use a lintel like below & run the joists into the back of it, then there would be no projection into the room?

Birtley_HD150_50_100.jpg

Thanks.

I see - you mean downstand into the room. I was thinking width ways.

That lintel would probably do but it will be difficult to fit. A UB can be slid in from the side. You can't do that with that lintel. You will have to take a large chunk of masonry away to allow you to slide it in and up into place.
And then you might have wall ties in the way.

Hi everyone,
well it's been a while but we are now on with the extension.

We changed our minds & decided a different layout for the extension so the 6 meter beam wasn't necessary but thanks for the advice given by everyone.

We do still need to place a new lintel where I have marked in Green on the picture.

The opening for this lintel will be approx 2300mm so we plan to use a 2700mm lintel.
It has been suggested that a Catnic CN5XA box lintel be used for the inner leaf and a Catnic ANG on the outer leaf.
Using this configuration of lintels there will be a projection into the room of 143mm (the depth of the CN5XA)

Are these lintels up to the job?
(Remember the roof structure has a trussed purlin so only half of the rear elevation roof load is bearing on the inner leaf)

Just wondering if it would be possible to use a different type of lintel that could be placed higher up in the wall so that the floor joists could run into the back void of the lintel, then there would no projection of the lintel into the room....is this possible?

Thanks.

lintle2.jpg

CN5XA specifications

CN5XA-1.jpg

ANG specifications

ANG.jpg

just use those...

one would be easier but who are my to argue... :D

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just wondered if it would be possible to have no downstand as this would look better in the room.

Thanks.

a structuall tee....

so please enlighten us all as to what
size section that tee would come from...
OK, I'll enlighten you Grrraint...a 203x102 structural tee comes from any 203x203 UC section.
Basically a 203x203 section chopped straight down the middle of the web.

I don't think a 203x100 structural tee exists...in fact, looking through British, American, European, Indian, and Chinese section tables, I can't find a 203x100 section anywhere...

you know as much as your posts prove....

absolutely nothing....

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just wondered if it would be possible to have no downstand as this would look better in the room.

Thanks.

It is possible - just a bit more messing about. Also bear in mind there's a beam in there already which will either be a help or a hinderance. If you are doing it yourself then obviously you won't mind the hassle but if you're using a contractor my experence is they will often find all sorts of reasons why it can't be done. I'd start with a bit of opening up to get a closer look at what's there. It should then be fairly obvious what you can and can't easily do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back