6" oak post to garage wall - how to seal ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a porch which involves 6" oak wood posts. One of them I need to fix to a garage wall, but I was told to remember to sandwich between the wood and the wall something which compresses and seals - any ideas please ? Or alternative solutions ? I don't want the elements whistling through when the oak dries out.

Sponsored Links
ive always fixed the post direct to the wall and had no probs. 6" is a big post to fix to the wall.are you concreting it into the ground as well???

No, not exactly chukka63, it will be sitting on a low wall (10"?), across the cavity, and I'm planning to drill out a hole in the bottom of it, cement/glue a piece of pipe into it, protruding 8 or 9 inches which will go into the cavity where I will encase it in concrete, and maybe even, belt and braces, drill some cross-vains into the pipe for added purchase. And you're right to query it - I put one of the posts on the scales the other day - 6 stone ! My overriding concern is getting a draft through, because the wall is a lot less than perfect !

If the oak post is ultimately providing a weather tight jamb, then sealing along the wall-post abutment with mastic will take care of most of the weather.

However if the post is green oak or is likely to shrink and/or distort, then i can see the sense in applying a sealant to the unseen part of the post prior to fixing it back to the wall.

A good quality silicone will be fine or a polymer mastic like stixall or sticks like s**t.

Sponsored Links
if its green i think i would leave it a while cos like nosall said it will shrink/move get shakes etc.

Thank you all for your ideas - methinks a good layer of s**t as the sandwich filler. Doc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back