6 panel door installation - doors need to be cut down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought 6 panel doors to replace the sapele doors in my house.

The doors I am replaceing are 2'6" wide so no problem there. The doors are 6'4" high and I have bought 6'6" panelled doors to replace them from howdens.

Do I cut 1" of the top and bottom or 2" off the bottom ?

Sponsored Links
I have bought 6 panel doors to replace the sapele doors in my house.

The doors I am replaceing are 2'6" wide so no problem there. The doors are 6'4" high and I have bought 6'6" panelled doors to replace them from howdens.

Do I cut 1" of the top and bottom or 2" off the bottom ?

1 1/2 from each, unless they are cheap hollow doors.

Sorry, I misread your post :oops: 1" from either end.

1 1/2 from each, unless they are cheap hollow doors.[/quote]

No these are solid core. 1'1/2 would mean i get 6'3" to fit 6'4" so I would have 1/2" gap top and bottom ?????

381-detail-main.jpg

Sponsored Links
what does it say on the actual door instructions usually between 5 and 12mm for trimming

Instructions say 6mm from top and bottom. But ia cant get a 1940mm high or 6'4" door !! So I am left no option but to cut down any door I would have bought?

If they are the hollow type ones then cutting that much out won't leave much left for the door skin to stick to and the doors won't last long as you will have reduced their overall strength. Solid wood doors are easier but you can get doors made up to the correct size it just costs a touch more.

if they are hollow, what I did was to cut off equal ammounts from both ends with a circular saw then I used panel pins and glue and fitted the solid bit of wood back in as I couldnt get a door small enough either. It has been hung and working ok for ages. and you cant tell. Was a tad cheaper than having a bespoke one made.

if you have to "butcher" a door take 40% off the top and 60% off the bottom put up with the fact it looks "bad " and will probably need re-lipping or pay a bit more for the correct sized door and get a good finish

You will regret buyng those cheap moulded doors made up of scrap wood joined together.They hang crap too. :(

Take them back and buy some quality wood doors from Wickes for £70 each.

Hollow doors arent as bad as people make out you get what you pay for though.You can take it all of bottom which would do away with the bottom rail so you then need to glue in a new bottom rail its not that dificult.

Actualy i remember a funny story as i was serving my time as a joiner my advanced craft lecturer made a pigs ear of a job and never heard of hollow core doors before so brought in a 3 bed house worth of hollow core doors and made us fix tem by glueing in replacement rails.

It is possible to do it if you have to its certainly not standard practice but if youve bought doors and frames are smaller then go for it . [GALLERY=media, 41841][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Back