600mm base units & 500mm top units ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is the above sizing of units quite common 600mm base units either side of oven housing unit and then 500mm top units either side of hob extractor/cooker hood unit ? as this is what i need for the base units and would look daft with 400mm top units wouldnt it ?? just ready to order my kitchen thats all and want to get it correct :) also ive run a washer waste pipe along the back wall which at moment is directly behind where the 600mm gap is for the washer ? it is 40mm pipeclipped to wall ..will this leave enough room for the washer to be pushed all the way into the gap or should i fit the pipe elsewhere adjacent ? cheers again guys

Sponsored Links
The sizing of your wall units sounds fine. It's quite usual for other wall units to follow the sizing of the base units below them, but where a gas or electric hob is, for the wall units to be 100mm less than the base units. This should leave a 100mm gap either side of the extractor hood before the wall units start. You might want to check the depth of your dishwasher though before installation because of the position of the waste pipe. ;) ;)

Washer? w/m or d/w , most are around 570mmm deep so will not be enough room, though some are shallower nearer the bottom of unit so if pipe is very low might be ok.You could re-route? or chase into wall.

yeah its a washer..will check depth..have run the pipe on the wall low level which will be behind the backboard of the carcass ? then drill a hole for the washer waste hose to go through and drop into the pipe ? what is the depth of the service gap on a carcass prob howdens or m &s kitchens from manchester ..cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
The sizing of your wall units sounds fine. It's quite usual for other wall units to follow the sizing of the base units below them, but where a gas or electric hob is, for the wall units to be 100mm less than the base units. This should leave a 100mm gap either side of the extractor hood before the wall units start. You might want to check the depth of your dishwasher though before installation because of the position of the waste pipe. ;) ;)
I was also told this by the surveyor who came today. When I enquired with the hob manufacturer (Hoover) they only state the extractor must be at least 650mm above the hob and another poster on here told me that the regs only refer to 300mm clearance if installing next to a larder unit or flammable material. Since they'll be at least 400mm of worktop either side of the hob I don't think this applies.

The regs, which I can't seem to find so I can view first hand, don't seem to state minimum distances for items not immediately above or immediately next to the hob.

Anyone got anything to add?

We are resisting the 100mm clearance unless someone can show us a primary source that states this is against the law. Our kitchen is very small and the current wall units are 400mm wide and butt right up either side of the present hob-extractor which is 600mm wide and directly above the hob with 900mm gap between the two. Reducing the units to 300mm would be unacceptable.

We are simply seeking to replicate this arrangement with updated units.

When did our current arrangement become illegal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back