Kitchen base unit issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, so I'm planning the kitchen (still) and I've come across a concern/issue.

I'm planning to run three units side by side along one wall, right up until the corner. And luckily enough I can fit two 600mm units and a 400mm unit.

Problem is, the corner where one of the units will need to have a complete section removed from the back as there's pipe work running vertically down the wall (boxed out). I understand that the service void is only 42mm and I'll need to allocate enough space for 65mm...

Apart from bringing all the units slightly forward (it's an L shape and will have a knock on effect with the other row of units), I'm guessing that I won't be able to cut out an extra 23mm from the back of the unit as it'll take away from the structure and fall over.

My other idea is to have a 300mm deep unit, but would rather avoid that.

Red line on the diagram shows how it cuts into the back of the 400mm unit.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2699/kitchentb.jpg

Sponsored Links
you could either cut out the back and side of the unit and patch up afterwards, or/and carefully remove a section of the boxing which houses the pipework, maybe a combination of the two.

One of the adjustable feet may have to be removed in the process.

Either way, put some screws into the base of the unit into the uprights as cutting the unit will weaken the structure. Plus make sure the cut unit is fixed/screwed to the ajoining base unit plus infill in the wall side.

Steve

Service void vary by manufacturer, recent one from Benchmarx was 65mm, some are even bigger.Ikea usually none at all.

Sponsored Links
Ikea, never have a service void

PS OP if you do have to cut the units and lose a leg, just move the leg a small distance and screw it to the bottom of the unit. Should be fine. I have moved legs on units many times before. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back