63 flats in block, mains insufficient, is a pump the answer?

We do actually own the freehold, which is then managed on our behalf - there is a group of directors drawn from the owners who work with the managing agent.
If your not satisfied with the MA's then sack them.

Sponsored Links
It'd be quicker and easier to move, but if we stay what you say is true.

Not that difficult to get a couple of companies in to quote to install an assisted mains system. The tech and hookup isn't that difficult if everyone is on the same mains and it's relatively easy to get to.

When I spoke to the managing agent about this last he said there was no room to put the kit, and that that was the end of the matter as far as he was concerned (for serving all the flats).

Sponsored Links
From your description (and Thames Waters' hydrant investigation), the mains pressure to the building is fairly good. The problem is most likely with the internal distribution kit- if that's the case then mains boosting probably won't help if the internal distribution is inadequate, badly designed, throtlled back,whatever.
Your supply arrangements are important here- if you receive an individual water rates bill from Thames then they are responsible for pipework etc to your property (ie to the front door). If your water rates bill is part of the service charge then you're most likely being used as a profit centre by the managing agent/directors. Do tell.....

We do indeed receive an individual water bill. Thames Water (back in 2015) were very keen to state that their responsibility ended at the property border, from what you are saying this was not accurate?

Interesting and somewhat depressing. Certainly their responsibility for waste stops at the boundary of the development (bit of a scam that) but their website is silent on supply pipework. Their section on Assessed Household Charge suggests they won't fit a meter at your address (which you could have used as a bit of a Trojan horse- if they fitted a meter they'd be responsible for what came out of the meter).So apologies, I may have led you up the garden path there slightly, hadn't realised how rubbish utility supply was in shared premises.
Since you all own the freehold, presumably you are permitted access to the plant rooms, service ducts etc- I'm wondering whether pressure has been reduced internally due to a leak which the Directors didn't want to spend money on? And silly question- do you have a stoptap for your flat? Is it fully open?

There's been some back and forth on meters - none of the flats has them, the water company would like us to have them, but there's a single (large) stopcock for the whole block, nothing at a floor or flat level for the supply side of things. We do have a stopcock, and I'm sure that it is fully open, but thats worth revisiting to make absolutely certain.

Is the large stopcock fully open? If it is accessible to passers-by the usual deal is to padlock a leather strap or chain through the valve knob (so that annoying children can't turn it off without having to do some quite deliberate vandalism)

It's under an inspection hatch/rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the drive. That doesn't rule out mischievous children, but sets the bar quite high.

I think it's time for a supply test in your property, dynamic flow and pressure.

You may have the pressure but if the distribution pipework can't handle the flow demand then you could have all the pressure in the world but the pipework can't handle the flow. Does the mains in your property fluctuate?

I don't think so, always seems uniform in pressure. I've started a conversation with a local plumber about checking these things - will report back.

An update, plumber visited this morning - we have 3 bar of pressure, but 4.5 litres/minute. Plumber suspects that the non-functioning stop-cock is actually partially closed, and that resolving that would see a sudden increase in flow.

However, the managing agent is refusing permission to turn the water off, which is required to change the dead stop-cock, and to fix a leak in the pipe (currently fixed using a bit of bicycle inner tube and a jubilee clamp).

An update, plumber visited this morning - we have 3 bar of pressure, but 4.5 litres/minute. .

I've had this before on old ⅜" iron pipework which had corroded internally, severely restricting the flow. The solution in that case was to run a new water main from the road to the property

That's entirely possible. I'll get the knackered stop cock removed (somehow!), and then retest. If that has not resolved the issue then it has to be as you say I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back